Calling silkie color guru's out there. Need advice and help.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Teresaann24, May 31, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So I bred my white pullet with one of my silkie roosters unsure of his color...Always thought black with alot of gold leakage not sure now iv been getting lavender from him.

Anyways This is her.
    [​IMG]
    and this is him.
    [​IMG]

I collected 4 eggs from her to put in the incubator before putting her with a white rooster the all 4 chicks hatched they hatched a weird white color some looking buff some all white with little black spots on the back. All 4 chicks look different one looks like a dark lavender one looks like a light lavender one has white feathers at the tip that leaks into a gold color then into a brownish black coloring on the wings. Then there is one that looks almost splash on the wings with a hint of a carmeal color. I will try to take new pics today. Anyways what I am wondering is what color are they gonna turn out to be? I am sure no a accepted color but what can I expect?

2. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Here is the babies...

The light lavender color one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The dark lavender colored one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one that almost looks like a splash chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last one this is the one that at the tip of the wings its white then leads off to a Carmel color then to a brownish black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I am no expert, but she looks like Honey, my isabel silkie, when she was a little bitty chick. I am not sure what genetics go into creating the isabel coloring, nor do I know if it's a "recognized" color, either. I just know I really like the one I have and wouldn't mind having a few more.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Do you have pics?

5. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I have one too, the gray is not as dark though. Will have to see about posting pics here, is Isabel the same as Porcelain?

6. kfchickenlady

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    5 week old chick
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have another from this pen, (isabel project from person I got the eggs from) but it doesnt have the gray feathering, just cream and small areas of buff.

She was marked like yours as a chick.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:She is beautiful I guess I will have to wait and see how these guys feather in they will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.

8. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I wouldn't say lavender yet for sure. I hatched one out that looked just like that, but she turned out to be gray.

9. kfchickenlady

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    yeah, they will look pretty as adults I think! Maybe someone can tell what color were dealing with. [​IMG]

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have hatched out many gray and these babies are not gray...They look more like my lavender chicks. Not when hatched but the feathering thats coming in on them looks like my lavender babies but have a Carmel tint to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by