Callous on duck bill

Cozyhill

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2024
Hello. I was out of town for and when I got back my hubby told me my one of my ducks had like a callous on both side of its bill. I never seen something like this so, I come to see if I could get some help. Is it a disease, missing some vitamin or nutrition?
20240218_152136.jpg
20240218_152127.jpg

Scratch is a treat, they need a specific feed that will give them all the nutrients they need. I buy a 6-way scratch but use it sparingly and feed a feed for poultry I can't get duck-specific feed here. plus I have chickens too. But feed should not be just scratch. There is an all flock feed and layer and other types of feed but don't just feed scratch.

Look at the feed you have available in your area and compare it to your scratch grains look at the protein level etc. You'll see they are missing some vital nutrients. Especially protein. Yes, mealworms can give some protein but it is an expensive way to feed protein.

It does look like he maybe scraped it sticking into something like fence holes and now has scabs that will hopefull finish to heal and fall off.

I also shop at Tractor Suplly and I also buy
scratch grains there but only use them as a treat I only use very little. Mostly I just give them some before bed if its going to be a very cold night.
but for their regular feed I get Nutrena Nature Wise All Flock pellets at TSC too my ducks love it so do my geese and chickens too.
TSC also has crushed oyster shell and I always leave a dish full of it near the feeders so the laying females take what they need.

It does look like he maybe scraped it sticking into something like fence holes and now has scabs that will hopefull finish to heal and fall off.

I also shop at Tractor Suplly and I also buy
scratch grains there but only use them as a treat I only use very little. Mostly I just give them some before bed if its going to be a very cold night.
but for their regular feed I get Nutrena Nature Wise All Flock pellets at TSC too my ducks love it so do my geese and chickens too.
TSC also has crushed oyster shell and I always leave a dish full of it near the feeders so the laying females take what they need.
Thanks that advice. I will have to check into the other food. Again thank you.

Back
Top Bottom