Calm a drake?

I take a different approach to duck hens and drakes than most on BYC. Ducks have a tendency to form bonds with other ducks. If there are not injuries (I have never had a duck hen injured by a drake) I let them work it out. Once the bonds are formed the dominating and excessive mating stop. Removing birds interrupts the natural bonding and flock order. My flock is free range during the day and in a very large fenced area at night. I keep almost as many drakes as duck hens.
I can totally understand this approach and in theory really like it. Sadly my ducks do a lot of mating on land (as opposed to in water) and we have had leg injuries, and for instance, my current hen who is being over-mated is getting super ragged on her neck, does her best to run away from him, and is clearly unhappy. Plus, these ducks have, all but one, been together for a couple of years now so if they aren't bonded enough for the dominating and excessive mating to stop yet I don't know that they ever will be.

You can buy hemp /calming chews for dogs I wonder if something like that would help calm a drake who is hormonal.
do we know if THC and/or CBD is safe for ducks? Interesting idea and definitely worth a try if safe

Back
Top Bottom