Ducks and Cannabis

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Okay, earlier today I posted about my overly hormonal drake displaying too much aggressive excessive mating toward one of my hens. I was asking if there were any tips for calming him down. @Miss Lydia suggested cannabis based dog calming treats. Which led me to wonder about THC and CBD in ducks. I found a few threads here in which our wonderful Miss Lydia mentioned using CBD products with their ducks, and I found this article about feeding chickens cannabis to reduce need for antibiotics - based on this Thailand study. "In a study conducted in Thailand, chickens were fed cannabis with THC levels up to 0.4%, which is higher than the country’s legal limit of 0.2%. The researchers noted that the chickens exhibited normal behavior but did not specifically focus on digestion"

So, I thought I'd open up the conversation specific to use of cannabis and ducks.

Has anyone observed cannabis products calming their ducks? Helping with pain perhaps? Or having a detrimental effect?

Does it end up in the eggs?

If you have used cannabis products with ducks, can you share details? was it CBD? THC? product? quantity?

Another piece about CBD and chickens

Here is an article touting CBD as safe for birds (caveat, they are selling it)

If anyone is finding other resources and info. please share.

Hmmm, I'd be interested in this too. I have drops that I got to help with my dog's anxiety in the car (figures I'd get the one dog in the world that doesn't like car rides!). It would be great if I could use it on ducks or chickens, especially if they are stressed out by something.

My dog got into cannabis, (at a park, not from me) it cost me $3500. I know this is a hot button topic but it is a drug, and in my opinion has no business being used to alter the behavior of animals who cannot make conscious educated decisions about it. You wouldn’t give your bird alcohol to calm him down, therefore you shouldn’t be giving him drugs.

My dog got into cannabis, (at a park, not from me) it cost me $3500. I know this is a hot button topic but it is a drug, and in my opinion has no business being used to alter the behavior of animals who cannot make conscious educated decisions about it. You wouldn’t give your bird alcohol to calm him down, therefore you shouldn’t be giving him drugs.
Understandable concerns. THC is very toxic to dogs - I've also known multiple dogs who have ended up at the vet due to eating edibles out on walks. CBD is not toxic to dogs and lots of people are having success with it. The Thailand story makes me think that THC may not have adverse effects on fowl - it's possible that they just don't have the receptors for it.

I will add on here that most dogs that eat THC/cannabis in the form of like, a gummy or a cookie they find on a walk are not horribly affected - they tend to be wobbly and lethargic for a few days, and are often nauseous, but they don't require medical intervention. I think they would have to eat quite a lot for it to end up costing so much in vet bills. The three people I've known whose dogs got into it were all told to just take their dogs home and keep an eye on them and that the negative effects would pass. One of them had to be given anti-nausea medicine.

Back
Top Bottom