In the general Portland, OR area? ISO help w/our duck

I don't know about anyone else's ducks but right now my Buffs are using their voices alot . I am thinking it is changing of the seasons. They aren't laying right now out of 13 females I am only getting a couple eggs a day. Breeding has slowed way down. So they want to quack more? I don't know but this happens every year. And in the spring they are the ones that raise their voices the most Thankfully we don't have anyone right close to us to complain.
Since they aren't laying much you can't offer eggs to neighbors who might object to the nosie. Sometimes a nice dozen eggs helps.

Maybe she misses you? Does it stop when you leave, do you have a camera to see them when you are gone?
We do spend quite a lot of time outside and while her quacking reduces when we're there, she still does it—and that's also not her normal behavior. When we're with them, they've always been quiet. We used to have a camera but it broke and we're looking for a replacement. Thank you for responding!

I don't know about anyone else's ducks but right now my Buffs are using their voices alot . I am thinking it is changing of the seasons. They aren't laying right now out of 13 females I am only getting a couple eggs a day. Breeding has slowed way down. So they want to quack more? I don't know but this happens every year. And in the spring they are the ones that raise their voices the most Thankfully we don't have anyone right close to us to complain.
Since they aren't laying much you can't offer eggs to neighbors who might object to the nosie. Sometimes a nice dozen eggs helps.
Interesting! Our ducks have never changed their vocalization behavior based on changing seasons but of course that can shift, so this could be an explanation, thank you. And yes, being able to placate neighbors would be nice, but not really possible with the limited amount of eggs we're currently getting.

No doubt you're right about some being chatty, but this is out of character for her. She's always been very quiet unless she's startled or greets us when we come home. She's two and a half, we have two ducks (used to have three but we lost one in June to an illness), and they have access to more than half of our large backyard every day (they're protected in an enclosure during the day when we leave and they get tucked in every night into a locked large shed/small barn).
So it is not teen behavior. I do agree with @Miss Lydia that there are times of the year where ducks are louder. Also not all ducks' personalities stay the same. One of my ducks this year molted before everyone else. She knew she looked good. She felt good, and she let everyone else know it. She was usually the duck hidden in the crowd and low on the totem pole.

And seriously, I have seen ducks get upset over squirrels. They cry wolf, we run out, and it is a squirrel 🙄. We threaten that if they keep crying wolf we won't come out... But they know that is such a lie. If it is a more metronome quack, they likely see something you don't. Their eye sight is way better than ours.

Back
Top Bottom