Camel crickets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MarkR, Nov 29, 2007.

1. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    So. . . I go down early this morning to fill the water and food, only to find that my little girls are growing big enough to get out of the pen (in the basement). What motivated them? Well, we have this cricket problem. . . or should I say, we did have this cricket problem. Not anymore. Their first live food!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So, Mark, we need some pics of those babies soon! I love to watch chicks chase a cricket-too funny!

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    That's cool, so entertaining to watch. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Ste

Ste Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Tracyton, Kitsap, WA
    Oh that would be so funny to watch. Glad they took care of the crickets.

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    LOL Those crickets give me the CREEPS! So ugly. Maybe if I ever have them in the basement again, I'll bring a couple chickens in for the day...

6. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Are they what I refer to as hoppity hops. They give me the willies to. They look like a jacked up 57 Chevy. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree those are the most disgusting crickets. The black crickets don't creep me out like those others do. One of my cats likes to hunt crickets and then present them to me on the bed.....yuck!! Maybe I should bring a chicken in to help him [​IMG]

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I was always told to call those guys 'Cave Crickets' and we would catch them and feed them raw potato and keep them as pets. Then we discovered they were hamster treats (back in the days we raised hamsters).

Now I have a cricket-eating cat, so no buggies in our basement, either.

9. Kimblee

Kimblee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    I'm scared to ask....

but does anyone have a picture of these bugs? I don't think i know what you good folks are talking about. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by