Camera - Finally got it! Pic on page 5

Chickerdoodle13

The truth is out there...
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I helped my uncle take professional pictures at a Bat Mitzfah a few weekends ago and the camera I was using was a Canon D50. I fell in love with the thing and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. The camera itself is probably between $800 and $1000. I think the camera comes with a standard 50mm lense, but I would love to have something larger to take photos of birds and animals. Something mor ein the 200-250mm range. That's probably another $500-$800. All together the camera and lense would cost approximately $1600.

I have the money right now since I have been working a full time job. Originally I was just going to save up the money in my bank account, but now I'm wondering if I should just buy the camera now while I have few bills and I have the money available. After college ends, it may be awhile before I have extra cash! I also may be able to make a little money back on the camera taking professional pictures, as I really have a passion for taking photos. This camera would allow me to take professional quality photos that I could either try to sell or I might be able to do a little event photography on the side. I'm not counting on becoming rich or anything like that, but I feel like I just can't get the quality I want from the camera I currently have.

My dilemma is simply that it's a lot of money. I haven't spent this kind of money since I bought my car. However, I also feel as if it is an investment and something that will last me a very long time. The camera is simply amazing, even in low light. I'll have to post some pictures I took!

So give me your opinions. If anyone is familiar with the camera, let me know your experiences with it. If anyone has any other suggestions for me camera wise, let me know! I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly! I will still have a good amount of money left over to use throughout the year, but I am very cautious about spending my money.

Last edited:
I have a Nikon D60 and love it (you can see pics at my site oliviacollins.com). If you're looking for a good, inexpensive DSLR get a Nikon D40 or D60.
smile.png

I have the cannon rebel xs. i lucked up on a deal with Best Buy and was able to get all of the following for $900. Camera w/stabilizer, 75/300 zoom lens, 18/55, camera case, 8 gig memory card, two batteries (which have been wonderful, never out of power), and camera bag. so maybe you can find the same type of deal. i did research and was going to purchase on the internet, but decided to go look instead and the deal was not advertised.

Just a thought.

I have a D70 and bought my GF a D90. I love mine and she loves hers. Images are crystal! You can take infrared photos and all sorts of fun stuff. The Nikon bodies are fairly "industry standard" and all Nikon lenses fit all Nikon cameras. No matter how old your lens is, it'll fit the brand new cameras, even. I have a 50-200mm lens and it's okay but very narrow field. I "need" a wide angle and a fish eye.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and some of my friends have the Canon D50. For a long time we compared and tried to ascertain which was better, but we eventually gave it up since we were all in love with our camera's. My only word of caution would be: Don't buy into the MegaPixel thing too much. It's easy to do, but a camera is like driving a used car off the lot and it immediately loses value. You could by the camera with the most possible megapixels, and tomorrow there will be a whole new one out there with more. So choose a camera with the features and usability that you want and enjoy it!

I have the Canon Rebel xTi 10.2 MP and I LOVE the thing. I have always been a Canon person - I guess it depends on your first SLR camera. Mine was a Canon in 1981. I've stuck with them ever since.

Right now I have an Olympus ZLR with an 18X zoom. It's an excellent camera, but just doesn't give me the quality I want in a picture. I would love to be able to sell some photos here and there, or even set up a table at the annual christmas craft fair here in town. However, I feel if I want to sell them, I should offer better quality. I don't have a degree or anything in photography, but it's always been my favorite hobby and I've been told I do have the "eye" for it.

The Canon SLR's are the only SLR's I currently have experience with, but I do know there are a lot of other really good brands! I took a B/W photography class with my mom's old canon (which was supposed to be the best of the best in it's day) and I was always very happy with the quality. She also has a lot of filters and what not that would probably work on the new lenses. I have to do more research into that though. It would be nice if I could use her old lenses, but the new digital lenses have motors for automatic focus and image stabalizers in them.

My uncle works part time in a photography shop so I think after I get my paycheck this week I might go there and take a look around and play with the cameras. I'm more concerned about the lens than the body, but the 50D took awesome low light pics. I'm gonna upload a few right now and I'll post them for you guys.

No offense to Canon users but....

during a college photo class attended, the instructor came up to me when he saw I had a nikon D60 and everyone else had a Canon EOS something or other, he said that Nikon is the best for professional photography, and Canons are a cheaper albeit still good alternative to nikon.

We got our D60 with a bunch of stuff like new photo printer, free paper, lots of free printing, 55 mm lens, 55-200mm lens, and a case for about $1,000.00. You can get it a lot cheaper now, like $600.

Just my two cents! I like the D60, but want to spring for a D200 and a flash set so I can get into the pro camera mood.

(Also, remotes via infrared are cheap on eBay! We got a nice one for $5.00! Just sayin, so when you show up to a photoshoot you will look professinal too!)

I had a D40 Nikon. My experience is that I loved the camera, but all the fiddling and the weight of the camera eventually made me sell it and get a good super zoom. So to myself, I didn't want to have to spend hours learning all the things the camera has, mostly I just wanted to get out and take good pics. My pics are certainly not as good as someone who really knows how to use a DSLR, but I'm very happy with my pics, the ease, and the lighter weight of my current camera.

Good luck with what you decide to buy

Back
Top Bottom