Camera - Finally got it! Pic on page 5

I've made the decision to actually buy the camera, but now I'm just doing some extra research. I *think* I'm going to go with a deal on Amazon. For about $1400 I can get the body, the 28-138mm IS lens, and the 70-300mm IS lens. I've been reading a lot of mixed things about the 70-300mm lens, but I think for my purposes it will do just fine. I can always upgrade lenses when I have extra cash, but I don't think I'll need to for awhile. With taxes the whole thing will be about $1500. That leaves me about $100 to buy the bag, UV filters, and a memory card. I may have to go over a little, but that's fine. I'll be sticking exactly in my original budget and I'll even be getting an extra lens!

I figure for christmas/birthday I can ask for either a macro lens or the 50mm f1.8 lens. Both are relatively cheap and I think they would compliment my lens collection nicely! My uncle sold me on the whole thing today when he said that I should just treat myself to something I want and will enjoy because I have the money and I am working a full time job. I'm currently looking at sample pictures using the 70-300mm lens and I'm drooling on the keyboard. I will probably order the camera sometime this week and I'm sooo excited! This is a huge expense, but I'm feeling good about it. I just hope I like the camera as much as I did when I first used it at the Bat Mitzfah!

Quote:
Oh boy, I know! I remember fretting over my $400 olympus camera two years ago. Never would I have imagined spending $1600 on a camera! I do love the idea of being able to switch lenses and "upgrade" your camera without actually buying a new camera. I would also love to try and sell a few photos or do some cheap photoshoots, but even if that doesn't pan out I know I will still enjoy a nice new camera! I really hope this camera will encourage me to be even more creative. I've been told I have an eye for photography, but haven't had the quality since that photo shoot with the 50D!

What kind of camera are you using Debi? Feel free to post some sample pictures! (Everyone else is welcome to as well!)

Quote:
Oh boy, I know! I remember fretting over my $400 olympus camera two years ago. Never would I have imagined spending $1600 on a camera! I do love the idea of being able to switch lenses and "upgrade" your camera without actually buying a new camera. I would also love to try and sell a few photos or do some cheap photoshoots, but even if that doesn't pan out I know I will still enjoy a nice new camera! I really hope this camera will encourage me to be even more creative. I've been told I have an eye for photography, but haven't had the quality since that photo shoot with the 50D!

What kind of camera are you using Debi? Feel free to post some sample pictures! (Everyone else is welcome to as well!)

Canon Rebel xTi 10.2 MP...

14951_picture_011.jpg

14951_audrey1.jpg

14951_cute_pup.jpg

14951_desertflower.jpg

14951_desertflower1.jpg

14951_goat.jpg

14951_img_2063.jpg

14951_img_2278.jpg

I am a Nikon user, my best friend and mentor who died last year was a Canon user. He was a photo journalist who'd worked for major newspapers around the country and traveled to worn torn regions of the world taking amazing heart wrenching pictures. He used what ever equipment the papers provided. Sometimes Nikon, sometimes Canon. At the end of the day he bought Canon for his personal equipment because canon lenses are cheaper than Nikon. He had the 50D, 40D and the 10D and could make everyone of them sing. I jammed with him for hours agonising over what system I was going to upgrade to and he let me use his cameras and 3 & 4,000 dollar lenses. I settled for Nikon because it just felt more comfortable in my hand.

One thing my friend did say which has stuck with me and that is put your money in the lenses not the camera! Cameras have short life spans and a well cared for lens will last forever. I'm thinking if you put an excellent quality fast lens on the humble little 20d you'd get amazing pictures.

Quote:
Your instructor is correct, with a modification. The camera bodies of most of the digital SLR cameras is comparable. What differentiates Nikon from the others is its lenses. They are the best quality. And Nikon lenses only fit on Nikon cameras.

You can buy other lenses for Nikons and all other digital SLRs but Nikon lenses are the best.

Hmmmm I had a Minolta 35mm something back in the 80's too much of a hassle changing lenses. I like my Cannon Sure-Shot! What can I say? It takes great pictures!

Very nice Debi! That chick and those flower pictures are gorgeous!

I'm pretty sure my room mate has the same kind of camera as you. She got an awesome deal on it around christmas time at best buy and got the camera, two lenses, a bag, and memory card for under a thousand. I think she might have only paid $800. Originally I was looking at getting a Rebel but when I used the 50D at the photo shoot I was sold based solely on the way it took low light pics. I haven't really had much experience with the Rebels, but from reading reviews it seems like with the right glass both cameras are pretty comparable! Hopefully I won't wonder down the road why I spent so much extra on the 50D!

I think I'm going to start an SLR thread for others to discuss their cameras and post some pictures.

I didn't really look into the Nikons much because my uncle seems to like the canons better and I figure this way I can borrow his lenses should I ever need to. I think he either has a 30 or 40D. I have read that the nikon lenses are much better, but also more expensive. If I had more money, I'd probably go for the nikon but I do know more people who have canons and who I can potentially borrow from.

Love hubbies Cannon 40D I got it and the F series (gray body) 70-300 IS lens it is very very nice- at the moment all of his photos are in RAW tho- and too much of a pain to post.

My camera is a hybrid, its a single lens (PaS) that has a fully manual setting just like the real cameras- I've taken some wonderful picts, if you go to my photobucket (link in sig) you can see what I've done (some are crappy...)

Its a cannon Powershot sx110IS it has the digital EQ of a 500 mm lens and has a marco setting not sure its full range. (it needs those batterys really fresh tho-)

You should be able to find 40Ds at good prices the specs are nearly identical if you are not making huge posters or if you don't need a true full frame sensor.

Canon EOS Rebel XS which I decided on because this is just for taking pics of our birds, etc. If you are a serious hobbyist that's a different story.

But let me say that you should be able to pay all your monthly expenses AND have at least a couple of months of an emergency fund BEFORE you spend one to two thousand dollars on a camera. Never let your desire overcome reason...and DON'T use a credit card to buy it.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders.....save your $$ for what you'd love to have, but always be able to pay all of your expenses first!!

Taken yesterday with mine:

9079_little_girl_2.jpg

9079_img_0512.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most taken with my D90 (some with the D70), but all taken with my Nikkor 28-200 lens.

367886422206_0_ALB.jpg

47b6cf07b3127cce8f5c575183db0000001.jpg

Cheersfall2006.jpg

DSC_0220Large-1.jpg

SiggyLarge2.jpg

DSC_0003Large.jpg

NewHorse.jpg

47b6cf04b3127cce82fce4b83b880000000.jpg

47b5cc26b3127cce95942626744a0000005.jpg

And a favorite that I lost the digital file for...soooooo disappointed and angry at myself! But here is a scanned copy of the photo:
PonceInlet3.jpg

You will NEVER regret your purchase!!!

Back
Top Bottom