Camera Shy Serama chicks

Solace

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
Rutherford County, NC
20 days ago I got my first adult Serama. Now I have 6 little peepers running around. Caught these being a little camera shy.
lol.png

DSC00141.jpg

Thanks Luann. I hope I can help these guys crank out quite a few nice birds in the near future. I really do appreciate you getting me on the path..
wink.png

Sadly I think I'm going to lose one chick (a 7th) from the blacks. The little thing has no sense of balance at all and when hatching there was quite a bit of blood compared to the others. It's even smaller than the first two black chicks. Still hoping it'll pull through.

I just stuck 9 more eggs in the incubator this evening. I have to say so far I've had great results keeping the humidity at 50%-55% the whole time for these eggs. So far only one hasn't developed and hatched, but that one didn't show any signs of fertility from the start.

Btw the red chick came from one of Potus's girls and the very bright yellow one came from the other. I have no idea what color that one will wind up being. Any ideas?

Oh putting this pic in for a size check. The ring in the picture is a size 10. Wanted to toss a quarter in there, but didn't have one handy.

DSC00144.jpg

Last edited:
That particular black set is from Marty in Batesburg, SC. After my barn fire, he decided that he needed to quit raising chickens (allergies) and I bought his black lines, white lines, and a brown line. I just hatched my last chick from Dan's black roo yesterday and he looks just like the black and white chick Dan has pictured here.

Just yesterday the neighbor's dog dug under the fence and killed one of the black hens I got from you - she had such a beautiful tail and her mate (the guy the goat chewed on) is so sad. (I was letting them free range in the daytime - that may have to stop because of the dog, although I notice the dog hasn't been in the yard since the kill - I guess they locked him up. ) But the lonely roo has another of your hens, but she is brooding so he is missing his traveling wife.

I am hoping that black silkied Serama hens I got from you start laying soon, the black silkied roo I got from you is SO ready to be a daddy!

for camera shy babies my dh made a "studio" from a box-he pasted white paper on the sides and top of the insides,put some shelf liner in the bottom,put a light on them and they would almost pose
DSCN1778.jpg
like this little one I really need to take more pix-lol

Back
Top Bottom