Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
i decided i needed some updated photos of my growing-out chicks today, so here are a few of my two silver campine pullets, anna and elsa -- i think they are about 5 months old? (not certain of age, i didn't hatch them myself):

anna -- she has very blue ears!

elsa and anna

not sure which one this is, but she's getting at something good!

and i have 10 silver campine eggs from Deb, underneath two broodies right now, due to hatch by wednesday or thursday -- can't wait!!

and today the eggs from Debs_flock are hatching! three are out of the shells so far (two with one broody, one with the other) and at least one more is pipping -- i hope to have better photos once more are hatched, but here are the first ones:

Hey guys its bit quite time but start collecting photos, I noticed in the CSU thread that Campines are next once they finish what has been an excellent time with the Welsummers. With a heads up I hope many here can get some good pictures, input and discussion when it is time.

and today the eggs from Debs_flock are hatching! three are out of the shells so far (two with one broody, one with the other) and at least one more is pipping -- i hope to have better photos once more are hatched, but here are the first ones:

love.gif
Campine chicks are so cute!

sadly, the weaker of these two chicks, the one on the right, was accidentally squashed by its broody mom yesterday -- i managed to revive it at first, gave it vitamins & got it warm indoors, but put it back under mama for the night -- and this morning it had died. now wishing i had kept it in the house overnight!

so now one broody has two chicks and the other has one -- none of the remaining eggs (6) have pipped. trying to decide whether to try to combine the broodies in one pen so the three might be raised sort-of together?

thanks for the plug, but what is sorely needed is breeding expertise.  That is very much needed over on CSU in this unit.

Thanks to all who can help.

Fred

Think this is a big problem with breed in general. I haven't been able to find someone else online that has experience breeding to standard to ask questions. This is my first year with the breed and I have lots of experience and know the standard very well, but don't have firsthand knowledge with this particular breed. This is same boat I have found others in sadly.

Back
Top Bottom