Campine Chicken thread?

Pics

Here is my silver roo... he is actually the one currently on the campine breed page.
What do yall think?

Looks like his barring is nice. Are his hackles creamy or just sun bleached? Bantam Campine? If not then he looks small or you have a giant hand. LOL

Okay, so I was told that if you put a silver roo over some gold females that you would get a mix of golds and silvers in both male and female when you hatch their offspring. So I tried it and it looks like she was right. My new babies just hatched today and I found both silver and gold in the batch. I will try to post pics tomorrow but I just wanted to share this with the group. Any thoughts/comments???

Okay, so I was told that if you put a silver roo over some gold females that you would get a mix of golds and silvers in both male and female when you hatch their offspring. So I tried it and it looks like she was right. My new babies just hatched today and I found both silver and gold in the batch. I will try to post pics tomorrow but I just wanted to share this with the group. Any thoughts/comments??? 

If you use a Silver cock or cockerel (don't know what a "roo" is but using that term won't make real poultry people take you seriously) over Gold Hens/Pullets you will have sexlinked offspring. Pullets will be Silver and Males will be Gold unless there's some dilution genes present. You may end up with some brassiness in your pullets from this mating.

Sorry, roo is just an abbreviation of rooster... you know, like "SQ" instead of "Show Quality", or "RC RIR" instead of "Rose Comb Rhode Island Red"... I do use cock or cockerel at shows but I am typing what is easiest and fastest to type. Don't want to sound pushy but that's all it is.

I thought that campines were not good to make into sex-linked chicks unless it is a gold cock/cockerel over a silver hen/pullet. At least that is what I have been reading. I guess we will find out!!! Hoping it is the way I intended lol

Sorry, roo is just an abbreviation of rooster... you know, like "SQ" instead of "Show Quality", or "RC RIR" instead of "Rose Comb Rhode Island Red"... I do use cock or cockerel at shows but I am typing what is easiest and fastest to type. Don't want to sound pushy but that's all it is.

I thought that campines were not good to make into sex-linked chicks unless it is a gold cock/cockerel over a silver hen/pullet. At least that is what I have been reading. I guess we will find out!!! Hoping it is the way I intended lol

Might depend on the line if that cross has been made before with those lines they might carry the other color and then who knows. I've done the gold silver cross before in other breeds but am new to Campines, my Langshan mentor raised them and did the traditional cross but I didn't pay much attention because wasn't interested in the breed at the time.

Highs and lows today. I got a package in the mail from Campine2000. She sent me a copy of an antique book on Campines! I was very excited and read it cover to cover as soon as I opened it! Then, I get home to find that a hawk (I think) took the hen I bought from her and she brought to me all the way to Alabama from Texas. I am so bummed. I also lost my turkey poult for no apparent reason, she was fine this morning. Is it Monday again?

Attention BYCers!

I need some good quality Silver Campine hens, pullets, or hatching eggs ASAP! I have a friend that is traveling from the Kokomo/Peru, Indiana area to Alabama on Friday and has offered to transport for me. If you or anyone you know has good quality Silver Campines anywhere along the route, PLEASE reply (or PM me) so I can make the arrangements. This would include Kokomo, Indianapolis, and anywhere that is an hour or less from Highway 65, south of there (Louisville, Bowling Green, Nashville, Birmingham.)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Wisher1000, wish I could help! How devastating!

Well after looking at my chicks I was wondering... Is there a way to tell the sex of a day or two old campine chicks? Maybe patterns? I saw something on feathersite but wasn't really any help. I looked at the little undeveloped combs and they looked to all be slanted... Think I have all girls?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom