Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
It sure looks like a pullet to me, but if it was crowing, it is likely a cockeral. Campines do develop quickly and crow early, but the cocks usually get a prominant comb pretty fast. I am so jealous that you may have a pullet! If I had known it was a girl, I would have hatched it myself! JK! Please, please, PLEASE keep the pics coming so I can see what I can expect from that pair this fall. I guess the other didn't hatch? I sent you two SC eggs, right?

Yeah, Deb, I clicked on the pics and think it may well be a cockeral. Did you notice the eyes? The pair I got from Kathy in TX have very good eyes! They also have nice clear hackles, but the feathers could have cleaner barring. The hen has a strange shaped comb that may be the result of an injury, but it has a nice stance, upright in the front and gradually lays over to the side as it goes back. All in all, I'm happy with them.

OH! I also bought a SOP while at the show! I'm getting closer to showing my own!
Yay! Hopefully this show season I'll get some silvers out there too. At the State Fair next month, I only entered a pair of goldens. Last year in silvers, I think I only grew boys with a couple of girls. The ten I'm raising from the last hatch, are almost all pullets
celebrate.gif

The same was true for the batch of goldens I hatched, 9 boys and 18 girls!

Hey, I even hatched more girls in my serama. Maybe this is the year of the girl!!!!

Last edited:
It sure looks like a pullet to me, but if it was crowing, it is likely a cockeral. Campines do develop quickly and crow early, but the cocks usually get a prominant comb pretty fast. I am so jealous that you may have a pullet! If I had known it was a girl, I would have hatched it myself! JK! Please, please, PLEASE keep the pics coming so I can see what I can expect from that pair this fall. I guess the other didn't hatch? I sent you two SC eggs, right?

Yes, you sent me two but the other one died around day 15. When I cracked it open, it looked like it was trying to get into the right position and got stuck.
sad.png
The PO was really hard on them. Out of the 16 you sent me only 4 were not scrambled. The little SC chick that did hatch is so cute and friendly! She will chase after me if I leave her and come to the sound of my voice. You were right I am falling in love with this breed. I really don't want her to be a rooster.

Can you get a closer picture of the comb? It almost looks like a cockerel in this shot. I've had them attempt to crow as early as 12 days. They are a very precocious breed.

Here are some pictures of her face.

Thanks!

That's quite a bit of comb development for a pullet, but at least there is no pink yet. I have chicks close to the same age, let me see if I can take pictures for you. You should know for sure within the next week or so.

Thank you! I will post more pictures in a week or two. That would be great if I could see pictures of your chicks. It is hard when I have nothing to compare her too.

Well, after just a week I can definitely tell that my little Silver Campine chick is a rooster. He is crowing in the morning and at night and his comb is big and red.
sad.png

I really don't want to get rid of him but I don't have any female to breed him with. I would love a pair but I have not been able to find a female close by. If anyone has a Silver Campine pullet that they are willing to sell or knows someone that does please let me know. Thanks!

Oh, that's too bad! I was so hoping that you had a pullet. If you end up keeping him, you will love him. He will even likely get along with the other roos. I have two SC roos and they get along fine. One is definately the alpha, but there are very few squabbles. Enjoy the cheeky little bugger!

Back
Top Bottom