1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Campine Chicken thread?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Campine Lover, Mar 7, 2010.

1. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    People talk about campine being flighty and not friendly........not my experience........this is what greets me whenever I walk up to their pen [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Hi ya', Deb!

How's the SC pen looking? I really need to get you some pics of my "trio" but things have been crazy here lately. I hope to prevail upon you this fall............

3. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I've got about twenty youngsters growing out for this season. I may set a few more.

4. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

5. RossAussie

RossAussie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
  6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Wonderful, Ross! Thank you for posting that! Although, I had a bit of trouble making out all of the words. Maybe it was your heavy Aussie accent! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. abw67

abw67 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Riverton, UT
    This morning I woke up to my "crowing" Golden Campine [​IMG] just 9 weeks old and he was spot on with his crow......I'm sad, can't have roosters where I live!

8. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    You're lucky he waited that long. I've had Campine start a good effort at crowing at 12 days. They are a very precocious breed. I currently have 27 living in bins in my den and they hop in and out and check out the chicks next door. My hatch................9 boys and 18 girls. I can't believe it, I normally hatch mostly boys. [​IMG] They are only about ten days old, but they make themselves known early. They are moving to the brooder in the workshop tomorrow.

I'd say it would make me chick free in the house, but I've got poults and ducklings in the hatcher right now.

9. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    Hi everyone! I hatched a Silver Campine chick (from Wisher1000's flock) a few weeks ago. She is only 3 weeks old and I thought she was crowing last night. Is that possible? I was really thinking that she was a pullet but maybe not. Maybe she really wasn't crowing. I am not sure. This is her at 3 weeks. Can anyone tell me if she is a boy or a girl?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She feathered in very quickly and evenly. This is her when she was a day old.

[​IMG]

Sorry for all the pictures and thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  10. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say pullet, if she has more developed wattles and comb then roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by