1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Campine Chicken thread?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Campine Lover, Mar 7, 2010.

1. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I agree the markings look campine, but the head shape isn't quite right to me. My campine chicks have more of a wedge shaped head, not so rounded and not such a cute little beak. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. campinechickens

campinechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Hello! Haven't been on in a while, great to see all the activity!! Welcome to the forum, Ross! Your Campines are lovely!

3. foxflower

foxflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    I think it takes about 3 weeks for a roosters "contribution" to leave the hen's system. So, if the friesians were kept with campines, that would make sense.

4. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

I know but I got 3 other eggs from that run and they are friesian fowl so I'm really confused p, but the chick has got lovely feathering coming through now and looks like a campine more now

5. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    finally took a few better photos of the two lovely silver campine pullets i got from Shannon last week -- i love them!

[​IMG]
    anna and elsa (i think those are going to be their names)

[​IMG]
    elsa eating a piece of apple

they are still quite skittish of me -- trying to win over their suspicions with dried mealworms...

6. Nickeyo

My campine is doing well, it's 6 weeks old and looks like a mini gold camp, it's really flighty though and so are my friesians, I'm not expecting them to be my BFF chickens like my Wyandottes or ex bats

I will post some pics later

7. Nickeyo

I also noted people mentioning squatting earlier on and I'm afraid to say that isn't a sign of wanting to be picked up, it is a sign of submission, is u have ever seen a fox attack u will see the chicken runs but after a while will squat and get eaten.

8. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Sorry to argue nickeyo but ur wrong. They will do often to a cock or a human handler. But they will run till they get caught in the event of a predator. Eg a collie cross named tessa

9. Nickeyo

Again ur wrong, hens base to Roos as a sign of submission, if u watch them the roo stands tall before he mates and if they don't submiss then he doesn't mate, and we had an encounter with a cat about two weeks ago and my welsummer flew over the fence three to four times before she stopped and crouched but when the cat pawed her she ran away and then I beat it away with some sticks. Type in on u tube and watch an attack if u must

10. Nickeyo

ok here are some pics of my gold campine hen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by