Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Is there anyone keeping his/her Campines fenced in?
I got mine in a run with mesh about 2m high, but they get out anyway.
My plan is to keep mine in breeder pens from November/December through the breeding season, about the end of March, and then to let them free range with the rest of the flock until the next November. I know that runs the risk of losing good birds to predation, but I believe the Campines are meant to forage and that condition, vigor, and quality will suffer if raised in close confinement. Just MHO.

Last edited:
you're absolutely right 100% and that's how we used to keep our Brakels too, but for the moment and due to lack of space I have to keep them penned in. a real shame, but no other options for the moment
sad.png

Drieslag, I've never been to the UK, or even out of the US, but I would sure like to! Do you have any recent pics of your Silvers? I am traveling about 600 miles in two weeks to pick up five breeder SCs from the oldest line I could find in the US. I will post pics when they get settled in! I'm so excited!

wow, that's amazing! to me that would be like driving from belgium to the north of spain or slovenia ;)
here some pics of my silvers, as you can see they're still looking up the trees, but i'v pruned them way up high

at the moment they're 19 weeks old, and haven't started laying yet
how soon does the average campine start to lay?
and also still wondering what the current average weight of a campine egg is??

Last edited:
Hello .
My first chicken is a silver Brakel ( campine? ), she's now 7 months old, and she didn't start to lay yet, although i was told she will start around 6 months old.

hi carmen, if you're on the european continent - Portugal - it is very very likely you have a Brakel.
The Campines are only to be found in the US, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, ... and almost impossible to come by in the rest of the world.

Let's do a quiz!
Who can tell me which of the chickens below are Brakels and which are Campines?

ABCD

hi carmen, if you're on the european continent - Portugal - it is very very likely you have a Brakel. The Campines are only to be found in the US, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, ... and almost impossible to come by in the rest of the world. Let's do a quiz! Who can tell me which of the chickens below are Brakels and which are Campines? A B C D
A and D are campines because they have more full tails and bigger combs and I would say C and B are brakels

Last edited:
Well, A & D are Brakels, B & D are Campines.
Not sure about Campine tails being fuller or combs being bigger.
Campine tails should be closer to the horizontal than Brakels. And Campines should stand slightly higher on their legs.
But in the end, it was hard to separate them 100 years ago and unsurprisingly it still is today.

Let's raise the stakes. Which one here below is the Campine, the Brakel, the Chaams and the Poule de Hergnies?
ABCD

Back
Top Bottom