Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Ya, ya, I know. They aren't Campines. But I just wanted to share this with Wisher. First hatch, have 8 La Flèche. Will make great competition for you come next fall(if you decide to show anything). Hang in there, you will get something out of the Campines. Especially if you can get them into a more controlled environment. Of my 5 females I get about a dozen and a half each week(one week I had 26).

Have you considered ordering anything from a hatchery? It would definitely be something to get lined up now if you do. It could really prove fruitful.

Howdy, Daniel! Congrats on your hatch, I've been keeping track on the NYD hatch thread. I hope you are right about the eggs. A small voice keeps asking what is my plan if they don't lay come spring.

As for the hatchery birds. I am keeping that open as an option, but I will be getting some more from Texaa in the late spring.

A while ago on this thread someone asked what happened when you'd cross a Golden with a Silver Campine.
This is a schedule I recently found for such crossings in the Chaams chicken. Safe to say it will apply to Campine too.

For those who don't read Dutch:
ouders = parents
haan = rooster
zilver = silver
goud = gold
onzuiver = impure
nakomelingen = offspring

The risk they say, is in the impure Silver roosters, as you can't see their impurity. But if you'd breed with them, your following generations might get a yellowish sheen over their otherwise white necks. Breeding with any of the hens of a SilverxGold experiment is fine.

Can someone tell me about Campine personality? What is it typically like toward people and other chickens? I have heard they are friendlier than most Mediterranean breeds.

Can someone tell me about Campine personality? What is it typically like toward people and other chickens? I have heard they are friendlier than most Mediterranean breeds.
My experience was that they are extremely talkative and cheerful. They are VERY active and I wouldn't keep them confined. They are escape artists and flew over my 8 foot high fence - actually all the way to the forest in one flight, kind of like a duck. They LOVE to be free and free range. They were at the top of the fruit trees.

Toward other chickens they were non-aggressive (I only had pullets). They were very friendly to me as well, but if you try to catch one they run away. Also if you go inside the coop and they are there they fly out of the coop. They are nervous like the Mediterranean Breed reputation. But they do crave human contact was my experience. They loved to come up to me when they were free ranging and say hi.

I loved them so much but didn't keep them as they wouldn't stay in the pen, so I switched eventually to Minorcas. I still have a soft spot for them and if I could free range I would get them again.

I agree with ChickensAreSweet. They are more busy and active than "flighty." They are inquisitive and chatty and don't really like to be confined - either in a cage or in your hands. They don't tend to be aggressive, but don't usually get bullied either. I fell in love with their personalities and it is the reason I have them today. They have very expressive eyes and will investigate any activity that is going on in their area. The rooster I have now bit a plug out of my arm the first time I picked him up. I pulled him out of a show cage at his first show and it startled him. I watched him closely after that as I will not tolerate a mean rooster but he has never shown any sign of aggression since that one incident. Sometimes, you will run across a hen that is a "screamer." They literally scream when startled or held and it is obnoxious and annoying. If you get one of these, either cull her or keep her in the layer flock so as not to raise any chicks from her. It is a bad trait and needs to be bred out of the breed. Other than that, they are simply lovely.

I just wanted to take a moment to recognize that this year - 2014 - represents the 100 year anniversary of the Campine (both Silver and Golden) having been accepted into the Standard of Perfection by the American Poultry Association. Lets hope that the breed sees a resurgence in popularity this coming year and that more people come to appreciate the beauty and functionality of this incredible breed.

I just wanted to take a moment to recognize that this year - 2014 - represents the 100 year anniversary of the Campine (both Silver and Golden) having been accepted into the Standard of Perfection by the American Poultry Association. Lets hope that the breed sees a resurgence in popularity this coming year and that more people come to appreciate the beauty and functionality of this incredible breed.
Ya well... La Flèche broke that landmark 40 years ago :p

Any luck yet with the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom