Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
That's awesome! When is that egg run going the other way? Hint, Hint.......
wink.png
I have finished hatching until fall, or maybe next spring, my last batch didn't do too well. I have lots of new chicks to choose from for next year, though!

That's awesome! When is that egg run going the other way? Hint, Hint.......
wink.png
I have finished hatching until fall, or maybe next spring, my last batch didn't do too well. I have lots of new chicks to choose from for next year, though!

I think you should fire it back up, Ms. Kraikenkoppe is no longer living in that pen.

yay for the grandchicks!

so i have one campine rooster and four young cockerels (roughly 3 months) -- is it too early to cull? their dad has a squirrelly tail, and it seems like a couple of his sons have better ones -- and i realize they aren't completely feathered in yet, so can't tell how good their barring will be...

any suggestions as to what else i should be looking at/for? or which age might be best for making the selection of who stays and who goes?

Type comes first when evaluating and underline seems to be too frequently ignored. Do you have a copy of the standard? If you have a decent body the "paint" comes later. I also like to see nice width to the chest.

The main thing is reading the standard and having a mental image of what you want so you can compare it to what is walking around in your pens.

Type comes first when evaluating and underline seems to be too frequently ignored. Do you have a copy of the standard? If you have a decent body the "paint" comes later. I also like to see nice width to the chest.

The main thing is reading the standard and having a mental image of what you want so you can compare it to what is walking around in your pens.

thanks Deb -- i don't have a copy of the standard yet, have been holding out since i hear there will likely be a new version next year? i think i saved some images folks have posted here though... thanks for the guidance! (and for my founding rooster, since he came from eggs from your flock!)

Last edited:
Laura, if you have room, keep them a while longer. If any have obvious DQ's, fine, but with only five males, I wouldn't cull any, just yet. If they all have slate legs, dark brown eyes, all red faces, and earlobes that are mostly white, I'd grow them out a bit more. Remember that they are not supposed to have long saddle feathers or side hangers. All of these things are DQ's. Take a look at post #641 in this thread, it might be helpful.

Last edited:
i just hatched 17 danish silver campine chicks
some have a more white head than others
is this right? one better than the other?

I've never seen a campine chick with a white head, only the typical marbled look. In fact, goldens and silvers are quite similar and easily mixed up until they start to feather out. The first time I saw silver chicks I thought there was a mistake and I had gotten goldens by mistake. I expected the background color to be paler with the silvers.

Do you have a photo of them?

Are these Silver Campine chicks? They were packing peanuts from GFF and I'm trying to figure out what they are. They don't look exactly like what I see online but I thought I'd ask all the same. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom