Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Don't know if you'd be clamoring for these, but I have a contact in the north of France who rebuilt his own version of the old style Campine with a rosecomb.
I belief he used Brakels or Hergnies and crossed them with pencilled Hamburgs.
Of course he tried to rebuilt them since there was no other stock available ... then :)

here some more pics of my white campine chicks versus the brown ones

BIG BIG difference, no? what is right, what is wrong? is there a right, is there a wrong?

i just got following reply from my danish breeder on this:
"It is normal that some off them are White, this is a female. All looks very normal."

So white chicks are female? Anyone ever noticed this before?

i just got following reply from my danish breeder on this:
"It is normal that some off them are White, this is a female. All looks very normal."

So white chicks are female? Anyone ever noticed this before?

all of my chicks, both genders, have looked exactly the same -- light down with leopard-like spots.

hm, strange. perhaps the danish line is somewhat different??
i'll keep you posted in a couple of months on how they work out

Another picture of a rosecomb Campine I found in a Belgian article of 1961.
It said that these were quite uncommon, but did occur now and then from crosses between single combed Campines.
Also these Campines had a different kind of rosecomb than the pencilled Hamburgs and definitely weren't the result of any cross.

Another picture of a rosecomb Campine I found in a Belgian article of 1961. It said that these were quite uncommon, but did occur now and then from crosses between single combed Campines. Also these Campines had a different kind of rosecomb than the pencilled Hamburgs and definitely weren't the result of any cross.
Sure is neat! And it definitely doesn't look like a cross to me. It has a comb similar to wyandottes and still is hen feathered. Preston

very cool image!

i'm home after a week's vacation and now doing some chicken-pen reorganizing -- and i think i've decided which of my five silver campine rooster/cockerels to keep, as only one of the boys has NOT inherited their dad's squirrel tail -- so, he stays. have separated dad & the other boys into a separate pen, and will probably take them down to the local feed store, who takes extra boys...

and discovered a mama fox has made a den underneath the front walkway to my house, and now is raising three little kits. so the chickens are on lockdown, no more free-ranging even with supervision until the babies are grown & dispersed -- but thankfully their pens are proving (once again) to be predator-proof, and the baby foxes are SO cute!

I had a family of falcons flying over lately ànd the chicks were out.
gladly they had good hiding, so they're growing up fine.
here's a 5 week old cockerel/chick

I've been busy building quarters for the new line of Silver Campines I'm picking up from a breeder friend this weekend. I am driving to Shreveport, LA (about 6.5 hours from me) to meet her and do a swap. I'm so excited!

ETA: My Campine partner just told me that she had a death in the family and must cancel this weekend, drat. I hate she lost her aunt, bless her heart. We will reschedule our swap for a bit later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom