Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
If you cross a Golden male with a Silver female, all the female chicks will be gold, and all the male chicks will be silver. It doesn't work the other way around. If a Silver male is crossed with a Golden female, all the chicks will be gold in color and the males will carry a silver gene. Here is the genetic reason for that.

Male = ZZ
Female = ZW (more correctly Z(-) meaning nothing on the other chromosome)

Gold = g but is actually written "s" meaning "NOT Silver (recessive)
Silver = S (dominant)
-carried only on the Z chromosome because the W chromosome carries no known genetic material (thus (-) is more accurate)

Silver cock> Z (S) Z (S)
Gold hen
Z(g) Z(S)Z(g) Z(S)Z(g)
W - Z(S)W(-) Z(S)W(-)

50% Silver males with recessive gold gene
50% Silver females

Gold cock> Z (g) Z (g)
Silver hen
Z(S) Z(S)Z(g) Z(S)Z(g)
W - Z(g)W(-) Z(g)W(-)

50% Golden females

I am doing this on a desktop so if it looks strange on your phone, and you can't look at it on a larger screen, let me know. I'll do it over, but you can likely fill it out on paper and see the diagram.

SO... Kangareaux....
"We have 3 Campines. A gold hen and a silver hen, and a silver rooster. Can I cross the gold and silver and get true colors or will they *mix*? I read that if I have a gold roo they'll be sex-link, but sadly my roo is silver.
Anyone know what my results will be?"

... your results from your gold hen will be
50% Golden females

... your results from your silver hen will be all silver, UNLESS your rooster is 'Incomplete,' or Z(S)Z(g) in which case the outcome changes.

Silver cock> Z (S) Z (g)
Silver hen
Z(S) Z(S)Z(S) Z(S)Z(g)
W - Z(S)W(-) Z(g)W(-)

25% Silver males (pure)
25% Silver (split) males
25% Gold females
25% Silver females

As you see, I had it just backwards on which is dominant, and that made the outcomes different, the concepts were good, though.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Hi Wisher, I sort of got the same info from the Chaams club. They have a schedule on their site that says this:

PARENTS MALE
Silver Impure Silver Gold
FEMALE Silver Silver 50% Silver 50% Silver 25% Silver 25% Gold 50% Impure Silver 50%
Gold 25% Impure Silver 25% Gold 50% Gold 50%
Gold Silver 50% Impure Silver 50% Silver 25% Impure Silver 25%
Gold 25% Gold 25%

female offspring male offspring female offspring male offspring female offspring male offspring

"Impure Silver" to them means you can't see it's impure, but if you would use any of the roos from that line, you might end up contaminating further lines. Contaminating means that in a silver breeding line you run the risk of birds having a yellowish sheen in their white feathers.

Is this correct? Have you seen this before?

Quote:

That chart is confusing to me.
NOW it matches and makes sense!

I, too, have read that crossing the varieties can produce silver birds with brassy feathers, but I believe that would have to come from some other allele that is modifying the phenotype, possibly carried on the W chromosome, which would mean it would only show up in the females. That is purely conjecture on my part, though.
My confusion was that I had mistakenly thought the gold was dominant. The brassy feathers happen because of the split of incomplete dominant Silver and recessive gold that will show through if the silver is not strong enough to cover it.

I'll get in touch with the Chaams club and see what they have to say.

I am just learning this stuff, myself. I could understand it better if the gold leaked some silver, but not the other way around.

I knew what I thought I was thinking but my thoughts on what I was thinking were not thought through........
tongue.png
lau.gif

no, and I'm guessing you're right. In Platts 'the campines silver & golden' there is a entire chapter on the creation of the golden campine through crosses with the silver. see page 59 to 62. But no mentioning of impure silver or anything like that.
see https://archive.org/stream/cu31924003118621#page/n67/mode/2up

I have read this a couple of times, but I will go back and read it again.

Last edited:
i've been off of BYC for a while, just too darned busy (and also wayyyyy behind on getting new photos of my campines), but just wanted to say, hey @Wisher1000 the photo of your pullet's banding is impressive! it looks quite a bit cleaner than mine, i think (although mine are so skittish, they're hard to photograph!) -- bravo!!

Thank you, Laura! It is hard to look at your own flock objectively. I can't say that I am disappointed (I actually do like some of them) but I have definitely been looking for a bird that has not shown up in my pen. I stare and stare at them, I pick them apart, and I try to imagine what they are supposed to be, but in the end, I have only to pick the best, and start again in the spring.

I have one pullet, just one, that makes my heart beat faster when I look at her. I know she is not perfect, far from it, but she is closer than anything else I have. If I just used her and the best cockerel I can find, I would have made noticeable progress. I get excited, at moments, because I will use about half a dozen of my own raised birds this coming spring. I get excited at the possibility of one day actually seeing that bird, the one I have been looking for, developing right in front of my eyes and knowing that all my work and worry has contributed to it.

hi there, remember the Danish Campine I hatched and sold afterwards? I bought one cockerel back this afternoon.
Very nice clean banding, green lustre on its wings and he's BIG, 1,987 kg or 4,6 pounds. At 18 weeks old.
Only too much white on the chest.
The cockerel in the back is my American one, and about a third smaller although he's actually a week older.
Both have better markings than my English hens though.
Looking forward to next years hatch!

Back
Top Bottom