Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Let me know as soon as you know. I raised over 100 Campines this spring and have plans to share with 2 - 3 breeders here in the states. Plans to swap birds are running into issues because of the A.I. scare going on up North (not in my area.) Nearly all of the large poultry shows have been cancelled this year and that will cut down on the swap of breeding stock across the country. I know it's necessary, but disappointing.

Of the birds I hatched this year, I will be keeping between 10 and 20 for my program and sharing the others with other SC breeders. I am culling hard and have already gotten rid of several pullets that were obviously not going to be used. Those went to my chick customers who bought other breeds for pets or layers.

I am optimistic for my breeding program in the coming year. I think I have turned a corner and will be able to start making some serious progress in the next five years.

Gold brakel chicks

Wow, I haven't been on here in forever. It's good to see everyone with greater numbers and better birds than what I remember it used to be! I myself have bred out a lot campines this year, most of them golden pullets. My spring show season has been pretty good this year, too!

Would there be any interest in starting a breed club for campines?
I know this is still a very slow breed when compared to the growing popularity of others. At shows I see people come look at my birds, say how pretty they are and how they'd love to have some and then walk away like they never even existed. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I know that there are only two exhibitors of campines in Texas; Cathy Gleason and I, which I received my original birds from. And I know there cant be too many others out there!
But when I take a visit to Craigslist to see if I can find if anyone else is breeding them, I usually will only see someone who is trying to resell the birds they got from the feed store.

We need serious breeders of campines if we want to go anywhere with them. And the best way I have learned is through a breed club or established group of some sort. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I have been a member of several already established clubs and see what works and what doesn't. The quickest and least complicated way of allowing something like this to happen is to have a breeder's page on Facebook. There are also sites such as Show Bird Bid that can be very useful in relations to showing. A website is necessary for a true breed club, but we must first get it started with something such as Facebook.

If you are interested, please let me know. I will gladly create such a group to start something off.

Preston

Also, please take a look at http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/BC_Links.htm and see what other breeds have going for them. You may be surprised.

Last edited:
PrestonC, if you do start a group in the US, it's good to keep in touch. We started a small one over here in Belgium. A global network seems right to get more blood lines involved. Right now I have 2 Irish Campine chicks pipping through, there the next addition.

Last edited:
Just hatched our first Irish Campines (silvers). That's one extra blood line. Danish check Englis check Irish check!!!

A very very old stuffed Campine in the Natural History Museum of Lille, North of France. Old Belgian style Campine that is. Something for Halloween perhaps:)

I am by no means a chicken breeder or an individual who judges my birds according to standards, but someone who wishes to express my appreciation for the Campine. It has been within my advantage to own a pullet of the golden variety of this breed, and she is not only my BYC namesake and avatar, but perhaps the sweetest bird out of our 38. Alexandra, a.k.a. Alex, is not only stunningly beautiful and extremely personable, but her quirks endear her to those who know her. She flies up onto my arm whenever I hold it out invitingly, and perches there to have an engaging "conversation" with me. Once, I even made the mistake of getting too close to her during one of our talks, and she found it appropriate to peck my teeth. HARD. Alex happens to be very brilliant and discovered that the best method of getting the most treats without competition from the others is to alight on my wrist and rip food out of my fingers whether I like it or not. I cannot even enjoy an apple outside all to myself without her helping herself to it. Anything that's mine is also hers. Mischievous, ornery, amusing, intelligent, lively, and cheerful don't even sufficiently summarize her many fantastic personality traits. I could not be more proud of my sweet little Alex; I cherish her and look forward to many more years of laughter and delight at her impish antics.

-Alexandra33

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom