Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Golden Campines cannot be split to silver. Only silver roosters can be (possibly) split. The gene responsible for color for the Campines is designated with an "S" for "silver" and an "s" for "not silver" (aka "gold" aka wild type.). The silver gene is incompletely dominant. In addition, females only carry one gene for color, either from her father or mother. In other words, if she looks silver, she is (S/-) genetically pure for silver. If she is gold, she is (s/-) genetically pure for "not silver." Therefore, if the bird is S/s it will look silver. The only way to have a gold male is for him to be s/s and genetically pure for gold. .

Golden Campines cannot be split to silver. Only silver roosters can be (possibly) split. The gene responsible for color for the Campines is designated with an "S" for "silver" and an "s" for "not silver" (aka "gold" aka wild type.). The silver gene is incompletely dominant. In addition, females only carry one gene for color, either from her father or mother. In other words, if she looks silver, she is (S/-) genetically pure for silver. If she is gold, she is (s/-) genetically pure for "not silver." Therefore, if the bird is S/s it will look silver. The only way to have a gold male is for him to be s/s and genetically pure for gold. .
Thank you for the clarification.

Has anyone had Campines with yellow or orange eyes?
And how are they passed on?
Are dark eyes dominant over lighter eyes or viceversa?

apparantly the eye question is an unsolved mystery, hard to find any good answers on the internet:(

Brakel

Last edited:
@keket369 Welcome! Where are you located? Who did you get your golds from? What do you plan to do with them?

If you are interested in breeding to standard, the chamois are not recognized, it is just a color that you can make, if you are so inclined. I don't really see the point, but to each his own. Personally, I hate to see effort thrown after folly when the golds and silvers (long recognized, standard, heritage varieties) are in such desperate need of improvement. JMHO

@Wisher1000 I'm in NC. I happened to see these up for sale on my local fb group and I jumped on it. The lady I got them from couldn't tell me where they'd originally come from.

I'd like to breed gold and silver. I showed silkies and Hollands locally last year and then sold out. I'd like to try again with Campines this year. Chamois just looks nice and I'd like to breed them for funzies.

Also I'm totally open to con-crit on these hens. This is a new breed to me and I don't have a SOP yet.

Back
Top Bottom