Campine Chicken thread?

Pics
Her eye color and leg color are correct and very nice. I like her tail but it could use some more barring and is held a little too high in this pic. Her hackles could be clearer and overall, her barring needs lots of work. Mine do to, it is a typical problem with this breed. Her comb has a nice size and shape, but it should flop over in the back. This hen appears to be standing funny, which makes her hard to evaluate. I would say her neck is too short, but again, could be the pose. She carries her breast high and well forward, which is good. She may be a little too heavy built, but even though it is not correct for this breed, the judges usually like that. I would like to know how much she weighs. I suspect she came from a hatchery.

I could say nearly the same things about this hen. Her tail is a bit too fan-like and her barring is not even as good as the first hen. Her hackles may be clearer, it's hard to tell. I like her back and tail angle better than the first. From what little I can see of your rooster, he looks the best, except for one major issue. His comb should not flop! That is a disqualification for show. HIS should be straight and tall but not too heavy. That's a pity, he might be special, otherwise.

The first Campines I ever had were very similar to these except they were silvers. They were the ones that won me over to the breed. Keep these a while and enjoy them. Campines are quirky, active, curious little large fowl that will steal your heart. If/when you decide to you want to breed to standard and/or show, we'll help you get some better quality birds to be your foundation stock.

Maybe Dries will jump in here and add his observations, as well.......

Got the first egg from the girls we hatched out in November (19 1/2 wks).

So cute!

Question for those who know genetics way better than I do! Since some of the chicks from my silver trio hatched out gold (2 gold girls, 2 silver girls and 2 silver boys), will the boys also be able to throw golds like my current roo?

Got the first egg from the girls we hatched out in November (19 1/2 wks).

So cute!

Question for those who know genetics way better than I do! Since some of the chicks from my silver trio hatched out gold (2 gold girls, 2 silver girls and 2 silver boys), will the boys also be able to throw golds like my current roo?
@Wisher1000 answers this in post 921 at the top of the previous page. The short answer is maybe. And congrats on the egg. Don't you just love the translucent white?

Last edited:
@Wisher1000
 answers this in post 921 at the top of the previous page.  The short answer is maybe.  And congrats on the egg.  Don't you just love the translucent white?

Thank you, I had missed that post, just copied it in my notes for future reference.
I was planning to keep one of the silver boys from the November hatch and replace my current roo. He's a little unpredictable sometimes and has bit or spurred us a few times. I generally don't keep an animal I can't trust.

Thank you, I had missed that post, just copied it in my notes for future reference.
I was planning to keep one of the silver boys from the November hatch and replace my current roo. He's a little unpredictable sometimes and has bit or spurred us a few times. I generally don't keep an animal I can't trust.
I know what you mean. I have a Breda Fowl roo that is hard on the hens. He is gentle with me (and frankly I really like him) and not human aggressive, but he pecks their heads after breeding. I'm going to try pinless peepers, and if that doesn't work, he will have to go somewhere else or visit freezer camp.

I took pictures of my 3 Silver Campine cockerels. @Wisher1000 you were right about it being obvious. I have 3 cockerels and 9 silver pullets and one gold pullet. I am beyond thrilled.

Any thoughts on which of these 3 has the most potential?

Chick 1 head shot. He is a little bit larger than his brothers.

Chick 1 full side shot

Chick 2 headshot

Chick 2 sideshot

chick 3:headshot overall the smallest of the three, but also the most active, hardest to catch, loudest. He was upset with me for getting him into some ceacle (sp) poo while I was trying to corral him. He also has the "fattest" comb.

Chick 3 sideshot

I took pictures of my 3 Silver Campine cockerels. @Wisher1000 you were right about it being obvious. I have 3 cockerels and 9 silver pullets and one gold pullet. I am beyond thrilled. Any thoughts on which of these 3 has the most potential? Chick 1 head shot. He is a little bit larger than his brothers. Chick 1 full side shot Chick 2 headshot Chick 2 sideshot chick 3:headshot overall the smallest of the three, but also the most active, hardest to catch, loudest. He was upset with me for getting him into some ceacle (sp) poo while I was trying to corral him. He also has the "fattest" comb. Chick 3 sideshot
They can get some attitude!!! Part of why I like them.

I hatched out 2 silver boys and 2 golden girls this week. It's like a box of chocolate, never know what's in there.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love the auto sexing! With mine, as soon as they dry I know what I've got.

Quote:

Absolutely! I will not tolerate a human aggressive rooster, no matter how pretty he is. Be careful with your selection, it will affect all your future generations.

I took pictures of my 3 Silver Campine cockerels. @Wisher1000 you were right about it being obvious. I have 3 cockerels and 9 silver pullets and one gold pullet. I am beyond thrilled.

Any thoughts on which of these 3 has the most potential? They all have potential!

Chick 1 head shot. He is a little bit larger than his brothers. Larger is good, but an old string man told me that the size comes from the hen, and the color from the cock.

Chick 1 full side shot

Chick 2 headshot

Chick 2 sideshot

chick 3:headshot overall the smallest of the three, but also the most active, hardest to catch, loudest. He was upset with me for getting him into some ceacle (sp) poo while I was trying to corral him. He also has the "fattest" comb.

They are entirely too young to evaluate beyond major DQs like deformities. IF I HAD to cull one of these now, it would be this one. That comb is likely going to be HUGE (not good) and you said he is the smallest. Beyond that, there is no determining the important points at his age. I vote you keep all three until they are about seven months old and then decide which one to use, which to keep for a reserve, and which to cull.

Chick 3 sideshot

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom