Camping recipes and ideas! Please share!

Noymira

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Chittenden County, VT
We are going camping at Lake Willoughby in a couple weeks for my birthday! Yay!

I'm already thinking about breakfast on our gas cooktop. I want mix eggs with pre-cooked sausage and some veggies in ziplocks baggies so I can just pour into a pan and cook without a lot of mess. I have some moose sausage I've been saving and this seems like a good occasion.

Any other ideas for egg recipes, or other meals and snacks? I was thinking about making some trail mix and maybe some pound cake too. Egg salad might also be good for a quick lunch.

I thought this could be a good summer camping thread since the season is just starting. Share your ideas, recipes and stories please!

Oooh, the egg in baggies is a good idea! And i have even seen where you can BOIL the bags in water and it makes a kinda omlet.. :)

Yes, i would make trail mix and maybe some fresh fruit for snacks...
I'd be leary of making stuff like egg salad ahead of time... because it can bad quickly..if yor cooler isnt cold enough..
I'd bring whole eggs and make it while there.. :)
I like fried foods... so i'd bring a kettle and some oil and make buffalo wings or something.. :p

Oooh, the egg in baggies is a good idea! And i have even seen where you can BOIL the bags in water and it makes a kinda omlet..
smile.png

Yes, i would make trail mix and maybe some fresh fruit for snacks...
I'd be leary of making stuff like egg salad ahead of time... because it can bad quickly..if yor cooler isnt cold enough..
I'd bring whole eggs and make it while there..
smile.png

I like fried foods... so i'd bring a kettle and some oil and make buffalo wings or something..
tongue.png

I've read that some people do boil the bags for an omelet, and eat it right out of the bag.

I could just bring hard boiled eggs for a snack, that would be good. I think egg salad would do fine, this time of year it's in the 50's at night and 60-70 during the day. This is spring camping at its best in VT.

Willoughby is in Westmore up in the Northeast Kingdom. We live just outside Burlington and it takes up about 2 hours to get there heading north and east. The largest fish caught in the state come from that lake, it's 300 feet deep in the middle. It's just a beautiful location, so serene and the views are amazing.

For dinner you can place potatoes, onion, carrot, zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms (I throw in whatever I have from the garden) on foil. Add a little pat of butter if desired, salt, pepper and a bit of water. Fold up and crimp all edges to form a sealed pouch and place on a grill. (we've done it on the grill over the campfire) It usually takes about 45 minutes to steam them - but it's nice because you can do most of it ahead of time. I do one pouch for each family member so everyone gets what they want in theirs.

Last edited:
You can cook basically anything on a campfire...hotdogs, hamburgers, mountain pies, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, corn on the cob. If you have a dutch oven, you can bake all sorts of things. I've made spaghetti and ground beef and sauce on the fire too.

For breakfast, we've always just fried up some bacon and sausage and made scrambled eggs in the grease. Pancakes can be done, you just have to watch your heat.

Don't forget smores!

Oh...ya gotta make banana smores!
take a banana..cut a slit in it lengthwise..spread the banana open somewhat..
Take a spoon..mash the banana up some inside the peel..to soften it.
Then pile in the open banana ..chocolate chips....mini marshmallows....crunched up gram cracker crumbs...
Close the banana back up as best you can..
Wrap it all in tinfoil...put on campfire grate....cook till banana is soft..and everything is melted .. :drool

Make sure you keep the banana in upright position while cooking...so none of the goodies leak out..

Last edited:
I like to make packages of pre-mixes to take camping. I make pancake mix, indian fry dough, hush-puppies, biscuits, and others - all the dry ingredients go into the bag and are mixed up. The wet ingredients needed are marked on the outside of the bag for addition right before cooking. This makes it easy, just add the dry ingredients, close and smush the bag to mix, pour out into pan as needed, and throw the bag away when done. Indian fry bread is our favorite, it is my go-to recipe always. Just add water when you want to eat it and I have a second bag with powdered sugar for coating the fried dough in; voila - fresh hot doughnuts. Yum!
Initially I used ziplock bags and only made what I needed for the single trip, but now I use my vacumn sealer and make enough for the entire summer plus hunting season. The ziplock bags always seemed to get ripped or opened somehow if I tried to keep them longer than one trip. The vacumn sealed one stay fresh and don't leak until you cut them open. If you are careful when sealing them, you can make them flat and they will stand up nicely in a box so you can see what mix you want really easy. Hint, write the directions on the bag before filling and sealing.
wink.png

Love the hobo packets - we take ground beef with and put a beef patty on the foil, then top with onions, mushrooms, spinach, garlic, tomatoes, ... just about anything you want. Works good with boneless-skinless chicken breast also. Don't forget to season the meat before adding the veg. A spray of olive oil on the foil under the meat helps keep it juicy and prevents the foil from sticking too the meat. Just make sure that you double wrap them with a good quality foil; if the foil rips open, the stuff inside dries out and your fire will flare up and send ashes flying.

This is my tip:
I carefully break a dozen eggs into a quart jar and cap it. Then Put into the cooler its easier to tote a quart jar then a dozen eggs .
When your ready to use just slowly pour them out one by one into your skillet.

Back
Top Bottom