campylobacter

paula1

Hatching
8 Years
May 2, 2011
I have 2 older chickens and recently introduced four pullets. Five days ago myself and daughter became very ill. Doctors results show I have campylobacter she thinks caught from the chickens. As myself and my daughter do not eat meat and have not drunk dirty water. I have been handling the chickens alot more whilst settling them in. I am careful with hygiene after handling, but obiously not as good as I thought! Can anyone tell me how long chickens carry this, can it be passed onto the eggs, as I intend to start selling eggs again once they have settled into laying regulaly. Any advice would be appreiciated.

Paula

This is an intestinal bacteria that is spread through poor sanitation and hygiene. The chickens can have it in their intestines without ill-effect. The problem occurs when the bacteria are spread to poultry meat or dairy products and such. It is reportedly passed along from dog and cat feces as well as chicken droppings. There are many bacteria in feces, giving rise to the importance of good sanitation.

Properly handling food and washing of the hands are the most effective means of preventing the spread.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom