Can’t keep chick in her chick chair

Gabbs2194

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2019
Alabama
Can anyone offer me some advice on how to keep my little one calm in her chick chair? I’m trying to rehab her leg so hopefully she can heal up but it seems every 20 minutes or so she freaks out and tries to fly out of her chair. I get her out every hour or two and let her stretch. I’ve currently got her in a warmed box that is covered and in a quiet room. I brought her to work with me today so I can keep a close eye on her. I’m just really at a loss.

If it is deeper, where her legs cannot touch the floor, she may stay in it better, but I would take her out often to let her stretch, maybe do some helping her walk, and to sleep. I have a grown hen who could not balance for almost a month. I made her a sling, and she kept getting out of it, and at the risk of injuring herself. I finally let her stay in a recycling basket with bedding. She could stand and move her legs well, just not balance, and would take off running and end up on her side or fall backwards. Now, she is fine, a bit unsteady, but gets around well. Here is a link with many designs of slings and chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Here is one I made out of an oats box and it has food and water trays. I would tape the plastic lid to make the edge softer, and weight the bottom of it. The box was cut around the circumference and each part telescoped into each other. So, bedding or paper towel can be used for easy cleaning.

upload_2019-3-26_12-55-47.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-26_12-55-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-26_12-55-4.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom