can a chick be raised alone?

Y
I'd say yes but only if there aren't any options (like only one chick hatches or similar things and nobody sells chicks of the same age).
In that case you can put a mirror and stuffed animals in the brooder so doesn't feel alone, but you have to spend all the day with him or her and he will suffer a lot when you go away (and if you don't have any chicken, this will be for the rest of his life). So when you go to school, to work or even to go for a walk for a couple hours, a lonely chick will be really scared of being alone. Always prefer to have at least two chicks together, please get him a companion if you can.
Es and if u can't pay attention for two chicks you can raise 1 alone but it' would be lonely

It appears the OP has fled this thread...

My question is WHY did they only get ONE chick? Should have asked those questions before getting a single lonely chick.

This really strikes me as one of those situations where it's "Easter season" and some kid says "They look so cute. Can we get one PLEASE"...this sadly happens to lots of Easter chickens, ducks and rabbits.

I certainly hope they have gotten a few more immediately. Or better yet, give it away to someone who is prepared to make the commitment to keeping livestock.

I've done it before. The brooder was set up in my room and I was there most of the day as well. Once it got old enough to go outside (closed run) it could get 'company' from the chickens nearby.

It's really not ideal though. If you have any other option to obtain more chicks, I would do that instead.

My question is WHY did they only get ONE chick? Should have asked those questions before getting a single lonely chick.

This really strikes me as one of those situations where it's "Easter season" and some kid says "They look so cute. Can we get one PLEASE"...this sadly happens to lots of Easter chickens, ducks and rabbits.

I certainly hope they have gotten a few more immediately. Or better yet, give it away to someone who is prepared to make the commitment to keeping livestock.

Yes. People selling chicks should sell in 3 as a minimum for this reason imo.

I hate the idea of EASTER CHICKS. We need to raise awareness about it. The link below will give extra info.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAR6BAgCEAE&usg=AOvVaw3kV0ditpHR5D708NgQTfLk

Yes. People selling chicks should sell in 3 as a minimum for this reason imo.
I guess that's why TSC has a minimum purchase requirement. Makes sense. 3 is bare MINIMUM. Two just means one picks on the other 24-7.

Although I have needed only a single chick of a particular breed to go with other assorted chicks just acquired at another feed store. I only have one of any breed for the variety. Plus same multiple of breed will gang together against any solo breeds.

Some independent feed stores will sell a single chic based upon their "gut instinct" of the buyer and that they have other chicks in the same age window that they will be placed with

Other sellers couldn't care less and that is a shame and inhumane.

I'd say yes but only if there aren't any options (like only one chick hatches or similar things and nobody sells chicks of the same age).
In that case you can put a mirror and stuffed animals in the brooder so doesn't feel alone, but you have to spend all the day with him or her and he will suffer a lot when you go away (and if you don't have any chicken, this will be for the rest of his life). So when you go to school, to work or even to go for a walk for a couple hours, a lonely chick will be really scared of being alone. Always prefer to have at least two chicks together, please get him a companion if you can.
yea i have a 16 day old chick and its only him and me theres no other chick. he is fine i take him out in the sun and help him find food

Back
Top Bottom