can a chick be raised alone?

Pics
actually, yes. Chickens are FLOCK animals, so when they have no friend, they get depressed. AKA emotional pain.. :).. End of story. Good day!
I understand your point but personally there is bird I own that can NOT be with other birds. @IceChicken you will be a good parent for that little baby. I will warn you that they will get attached but if you get they one rubber duck or something washable, they will be fine. My friend has a house rooster and he is a very good boy. You will do great. Opposing others you don’t want to be there all the time. If they see you 24/7 when they are young then they won’t leave you side. I resided a sebright for a few weeks alone with a rubber duck and me not there more then 3 times a day. (She was weak but still) I have 100% confidence that you will raise and well behaved chicken.

I was put in a situation where I ended up with an orphan chick. My broody hen began to (not much of a way to put it lightly) eat the chicks. I managed to save one single chick from her as it happened so quickly that we thought something else was getting them until we caught her in the act. For the chick’s safety, she was pulled. And hand raised alone. There wasn’t a choice necessarily if I wanted her to survive. She became very dependent and close to humans, always starved for attention. She was definitely lonely when we had to leave for work or something- she hadn’t learned to be a chicken, and was such a small bird as an adult that the normal flock would not accept her. Fast forward to a point where it’s just her, and we rescue some new birds after our flock unfortunately was lost to a dog attack (coop and pen rebuilt, because a storm just a few days before caused a weak spot in the fence when a tree fell.) She managed to become friends with these new birds, as she was the established “boss” of the territory and a slow, monitored introduction process led to her finding a new flock she loves to run with. She’s still a momma’s girl, but she’s not lonely now when we aren’t there.

Ignoring my long rant, here’s my thoughts: if you’re in a situation and it’s absolutely imperative to raise a single chick, that’s okay. I still believe they should make friends down the road and be a part of a flock. But if you can help it, having more than one is better for their mental health I feel.

I raised a chick alone once. It was for a science project so I only put one in becuase I didnt think it would hatch. When it hatched I was surprised but I couldnt find another chick her age. So I raised her alone and she was super sweet to people but not so much to chicks. I had to rehome her to a place with only adult hens. Raising it alone will not kill it. It may not be the best thing for it. Spend lots of time with her and get her a friend if your able. Welcome to byc, and good luck!

We had a single guinea keet hatch out with a chicken. I ended up helping him out of the egg, but the hen didn't seem to like him and pecked him. As a beginner hatcher, I freaked and raised the keet myself. He's an adult now and is fine with the other guineas.
I'm not suggesting that people get a single chick all the time to raise, but if you end up with one and no other birds to take care of it, it can be raised if you spend a lot of time with it. You might be able to train it and keep it indoors as a housepet, even, so that it can stay with you for company until you can get a friend for it.
(By the way, the guinea is still very friendly and likes being petted. No mental harm done).
Good luck with your little chick.

If you have chickens living outside try to get a hen to adopt it... Otherwise you have to spend ALL THE TIME with it... In my opinion, you should definitely try to get at least 1 other chick

I kept a weak chick separated from the other 2 (so they wouldn't accidentally hurt him). He was chirping like CRAZY! That night, I took away the divider between them. They were all content and happy again... Now thay are nearly 4 weeks old, strong and best buddies! They snuggle up together and it's so cute to see them have friends there 24/7.
20210407_143411_HDR.jpg
IMG-20210314-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20210314-WA0021.jpg

can a chick be raised alone? how?, I buy only one chick not knowing that they are social, can I raised alone? , buying another chick is not a opcion sadly.
I did it and it was absolute hell. I remember quietly tip toeing back to my bed trying not to wake the 1 day old chick alone in the brooder. It would wake up every 30 min. It would just chirp loudly and wake up the whole family. Get 2, not only because they need it, but because you need SLEEP

Back
Top Bottom