Can a chick live that is not fully developed?

One hisses when you go in and the other just one day decided she wanted to sit on eggs so we gave her some. Sometimes she gets up and comes back, but one of the other chickens takes her place while she is gone.
Always separate the broody in a quiet place by herself, so other hens will not be able to disturb.

An inexperienced first time broody might not switch from defending her clutch to caring for the hatching chicks if she is disturbed by others that trigger her defense mode.

That's what I was kind of thinking of is there any more eggs under her right now that are going to hatch or were those the only two.

There is more under both of them. Do you think they are pecking them out before they are ready or after they hatch? I just hope I can save them somehow.

Last edited:
It was their hatching day. They pipped through their eggs on their own.
It depends on how you found them this morning if it looked like they zipped and came out of the shell normally or did the show look while broken up if they hatched and then you found the chicks like that I would think that the other hen might have pecked their heads I don't. I'm going to find somebody with more knowledge on booty hens to help you.

Looks like the other hens got to the chicks... usually if the mom or another hen sees the chick as vulnerable or weak or injured...or with any kind of deformity...they will eliminate the chick :/ it’s sad...but it happens...maybe next time move the broody hen into her own spot, where you can watch her like a hawk....if that’s possible. Wish you the best of luck. And please don’t blame yourself...it’s nature, and the way of the flock pecking order......

It depends on how you found them this morning if it looked like they zipped and came out of the shell normally or did the show look while broken up if they hatched and then you found the chicks like that I would think that the other hen might have pecked their heads I don't. I'm going to find somebody with more knowledge on booty hens to help you.@lemon-drop can you help please.

Back
Top Bottom