can a chick pick itself to death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Autumn Mama, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    I have a 4 day old chick that I've tried to help with pastey butt. It has had alot of build up, crusted on that was near impossible to remove.

I have most off, however it has a raw bum, and is picking itself constantly, not eating as much or sleeping well.

The raw bum by the way, began yesterday at the Co-Op where the lady that sold them to us, PICKED OFF poop like " a bandaid" as she put it. Ripped it right off, I guess. [​IMG] I suspect the trouble started there.

I'm sad to possibly lose it, it chirps loudly when it passes poop (which looks normal BTW)

I've put olive oil on it (all I could think of that I had)

What should I do at this point?

It is a sweet little Blue Laced red Wyandotte. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Maybe a little neosporin or even preparation H to help with the swelling. I've never done this , so maybe somebody with more experience will chime in with some great advice!! Good luck to you!!

3. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I know that a bird can self-mutilate. You'll know this is happening if there are feathers missing everywhere except on the head. Other birds will not discriminate between body and head feathers.

I know that pet supply stores sell a god awful liquid called Bitter Apple. It's supposed to be the most bitter tasting substance on Earth. I would tend to agree...I tasted it myself. Blech. [​IMG]

Good luck with your baby!

Suzy

[​IMG]

4. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:I'd definately use Prep H (that's been my battle cry lately). It's made to reduce inflamation and ease pain.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I wouldn't put anything that would sting on it...The poor little dumpling would be halfway to the moon if you did.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Neosporin or Prep H should be soothing, should not sting.

7. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Thanks for your replies, my concern with Prep H or Polysporin is their ingestion of it.

I have Aloe Vera Gel (organic) on hand. It is completely safe internally

It's also great for skin: burns, cuts, scrapes.

Would that work? Anyone using it?

I could dip its' bum into a shallow spoonful of it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  8. farmer macdonald123

farmer macdonald123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    north carolina
    soak in warm water then put some neosporin on it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by