Can a chicken just start laying at 9 months old?

Im very confused today. I'm new to chicken parenting and have 3 girls. All hatched around May 19, so they're almost 9 months old.
The dominique and golden comet started laying right at end of summer and have been pretty consistent 5‐7 eggs/week each. However the black sex link never laid an egg, we found a couple soft shells in Sept and think they were hers but not sure. Thought she was just one of those rare chickens that cant. This week we noticed her sitting on the faux egg or on the eggs the other 2 laid and i thought "is she getting broody? Is that possible?" I really felt bad for her, the barron hen with a ticking biological clock. Wednesday last week i found a smashed egg in the coop, soft shelled. Figured one of the girls had a bad day and upped the calcium for a couple days.
Today I go collect Goldie & Checkers egg, and find 3 eggs. Ninja? It's smaller then the other 2, like they were when they 1st started laying a few months ago. She is 9 months old, is this possible. Its middle of winter here, if anything i figured they may not lay at all but to START laying is odd, no?
Or could i be one of the girls laid 2 eggs.
The darker egg on the left is Golden comet, shiney smooth shell. The lighter on the right is dominique, she lays rougher shell more oblong eggs. The one in the middle is shiney smooth like goldies but with shell color of dominique.

Someone please give me your thoughts, Im happy for Ninja girl if it's hers, maybe they stop picking on her and she can "fit in" with the teenagers now

Adding that the past 2 days ninja has been noticeably squatting when I approach, like the other girls do.. shes done it in the past kinda but now its definitely the "are you a roo" squat

What do you think, Ninja egg or a spare from one of the other girls?

Attachments

• 20230111_163944.jpg
    20230111_163944.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Yeah I think she’s probably started laying, they can lay really young or some can take ages
I've heard that, I tried to time their purchase/ hatch date so theyd be of laying age before winter. Definitely didnt expect one to start in January. I had hoped maybe I'd be suprised come spring. But HAPPY NEW YEAR 🎉🥳

Back
Top Bottom