Can a chicken run With its head Chopped off??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CottageChicken22, Sep 18, 2008.

1. CottageChicken22

CottageChicken22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Can a chicken run With its head Chopped off?? i've heard of this before.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Only if it's name is MIKE the headless chicken! [​IMG] Seriously...yes, there is some reflexes that can cause them to run right after you chop the head off. Google (mike the headless rooster) it's a cool story [​IMG]

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yes. When my dad killed roosters we would sit up on top of the rabbit hutches in order not to be sprayed by the blood or have a headless chicken bump into us....

4. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    When I was a kid I watched the head chopping thing at a relatives ( we didnt eat ours, just for eggs ) they not only run, they do cartwheels ! A few left the yard and had to be retieved from the cornfield next to the house even.

5. CottageChicken22

CottageChicken22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    LOL

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One of my jobs as a kid was to go after them after my dad had chopped the heads off. I wouldn't say they ran....it was more of a flopping until the reflexes stopped.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yes, I've seen them run and flap with their heads chopped off, one even jumped on the bottom wire of the fence.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    One of my earliest memories is my grandpa chopping the head off a chicken, and the chicken running all over the yard, then it suddenly dropped over dead. I was 3 years old and thought it was HILARIOUS!

I got to carry it in the house and pluck it, too. NEATO!

9. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    ours were so spazzed out they got air while flapping. We're talking 6 feet off the ground without heads. That was pretty crazy. That headless chicken story is pretty interesting, though, that's for sure.

10. stacym

stacym Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Kennard, Nebraska
    You bet they do!! Although my dad used to yell at us if we let them run around. It bruises the meat.
    We use killing cones and zip ties now a days. But this summer when my dad wasn't looking I let one go so the kids could see. They thought it was the coolest thing every.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by