1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a chicken vomit???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauraclaire, Jan 30, 2010.

1. lauraclaire

lauraclaire Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Bloomfield Hills
    HELP!! I just went out to check for eggs and spend a few minutes with the girls. One of them was standing on a perch, dipped her head down and a stream of clear fluid came out of her mouth.[​IMG] Is this normal? She seems fine No runny nose, bright eyes, active, and still laying eggs. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

She is probably expelling excess water she drank. They do that sometimes. Just keep an eye out to see if she keeps doing it.

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Yes.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quote:Yes.

Agreed. I've seen it before. I was totally worried the first time I saw it, though.

5. lauraclaire

lauraclaire Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Bloomfield Hills
    A big THANK YOU for the quick, helpful responses. You have put my mind at ease. I'll keep an eye on her.

6. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:mhm. watched my buff orp do it once lol

7. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Perfectly normal. Probably means she flew too soon after she drank. [​IMG] Nothing to worry about.

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

When I have to medicate a chicken down it's throat, I medicate with an eyedropper ,wait about 30 seconds, then hold them head down to drain excess in case it went where it wasn't suppose to. They don't close their throat like humans do.

9. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    One of my EE's did that, first time I had a sickie... or so I thought. I Isolated her because she was kind of making a crooking sound. Massaged her crop and watched her real close. All went well... but that liquid comming out really was scary. [​IMG]

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If they over fill their crops stuff can get squished back out. It's not quite the same as vomiting since chickens don't have the same digestive tract as us. It just kind of runs out and they keep going without seeming to notice much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by