Can a crop be just half impacted?

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
1.5 yr old chocolate orpington hen , molting, i noticed she doesnt poop very much lately, eats but eats less, thought it was just because of molting, but I feel their crops night and morning once or twice a week, and hers seemed only half full at night and half full in morning. but her breath is fine
Edit to add:
I think its doughy crop because I just reread the article

Sour Crop, Impacted Crop, Doughy Crop - Prevention and Treatments of Crop disorders​

-edit to add-
i have miconazole in my first aid kit . i also have ACS. and that article has a recipe for a combination of spices and lemon juice. I’m wondering which treatment I should try. I m pretty sure it’s Doughie crop, and probably came about because I stopped giving her probiotics after a couple of months of giving them twice a week – – I was giving her probiotics because I had treated her in the summer with Baytril for a respiratory infection, or what we thought was a respiratory infection.
Also, over the summer, I treated my chickens with corid,, and they were wormed with safeguard. ( had used valbazen 6 months prior)
And presently she is molting.

Which ever treatment I start my daughters will have to continue it beginning this Thursday when I have to go away for surgery and will be recovering a couple of weeks so I hope it’s not too complicated

Last edited:
The way I treat impacted crop, or partially impacted, is with coconut oil, about one teaspoon every 30 to 60 minutes with as much massage of the crop contents as you can manage.

This is labor intensive. Give a teaspoon of coconut oil, massage trying to break up the impacted contents. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat until you feel the contents clear the crop.

If after several hours of this the contents won't budge, give a stool softener. Wait an hour, and massage. (Do not use a laxative.) Here is my article if you need more information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

OK thanks I will do this -
Can she have water and can she have food in between the treatments
I can catch her in the coop before I let everyone out . my birds do not have food and water all night in the coop so they are thirsty and hungry in the morning I just wonder if she can have at least water

After you check her crop and get a feel for what's in it, let her have access to food and water. People mistake this for not letting the chicken have food and water all the time during a crop disorder. A chicken with a crop issue will self regulate what they eat and how much to drink. In fact, letting a crop patient have food and water can tell us what type od disorder it is and how well they are doing as far as recovering from it.

After you check her crop and get a feel for what's in it, let her have access to food and water. People mistake this for not letting the chicken have food and water all the time during a crop disorder. A chicken with a crop issue will self regulate what they eat and how much to drink. In fact, letting a crop patient have food and water can tell us what type od disorder it is and how well they are doing as far as recovering from it.
thank you so much 😊

Back
Top Bottom