Can a dog house be a chicken coop?

I've never seen a dog house big enough for a suitable chicken coop. Even one made for Marmaduke.
Chickens need space, not tight quarters. The smaller the coop, the more frequent cleaning will be required and the more the chickens will fight.
That's why caged chickens need their beaks trimmed so they can't eat each other.

I've never seen a dog house big enough for a suitable chicken coop. Even one made for Marmaduke.
Chickens need space, not tight quarters. The smaller the coop, the more frequent cleaning will be required and the more the chickens will fight.
That's why caged chickens need their beaks trimmed so they can't eat each other.
Is there any cheap coops?

Lets see a pic of your dog house. My daughter has had chickens in a very small coop for several years, and the inside would only be big enuf for a medium sized dog at the most. She keeps 3 standard size hens.

How many chickens are you planning on having? Is there going to be an attached run? Will they have the ability to free range or will they be restricted to the coop and run?

From all of my research what I have learned is in the coop the chickens should have 4 square feet, at least 1 foot of roost bar space, and 10 square feet of run per chicken

You may find a used coop on Craigslist.
There are no cheap manufactured coops.
Your best bet is to build one.
You can also get a garden shed and repurpose it.

4 chickens
You would need something about 4'x4' which would give you the recommend 16 square feet. If nesting boxes are going to be inside that will also take away from you square footage. One thing I have learned is most places like tractor supply and lower quality coop manufactures way overrate the capacity of there coops. Most that I have seen that said they would hold 4 should only have 2. Another question are you getting standard size chickens or bantams. I believe most commercial list the occupancy for bantams, which is about 2 bantams = 1 standard size from my research. Not sure your budget to purchase but a quick search of some sites I have saved I found this one: https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...alow-Chicken-Coop-up-to-6-chickens-p1185.aspx Under $500 a nice coop and run with the option of adding more runs later. I built a nice 4'x4' for about $500

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom