Can a dog house be a chicken coop?

Depends on how big your dog house is. I have 4 ducks and I’m using a dog house for now during the winter. It’s a pretty big one and they all fit just fine.

You would need something about 4'x4' which would give you the recommend 16 square feet. If nesting boxes are going to be inside that will also take away from you square footage. One thing I have learned is most places like tractor supply and lower quality coop manufactures way overrate the capacity of there coops. Most that I have seen that said they would hold 4 should only have 2. Another question are you getting standard size chickens or bantams. I believe most commercial list the occupancy for bantams, which is about 2 bantams = 1 standard size from my research. Not sure your budget to purchase but a quick search of some sites I have saved I found this one: https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalo...alow-Chicken-Coop-up-to-6-chickens-p1185.aspx Under $500 a nice coop and run with the option of adding more runs later. I built a nice 4'x4' for about $500
Ok

You may want to look into "chicken tractors." There are lots of different kinds but many and quite inexpensive to build. Those made from a wood frame, cattle panels, and tarp seem like they would be pretty easy to build. Depending on your weather, they might be a much better option than a dog house.

I've never seen a dog house that looked tall enough for a chicken. Unless you are talking Silkies. I heard they don't roost so you might not need the height. But I would check with Silkie owners first.

Back
Top Bottom