froggiesheins

Crowing
10 Years
Oct 14, 2010
Jurupa Valley, CA
69838_chickens_061.jpg
I
69838_chickens_062.jpg

I acquired an adult black hen, and she looks like a hen but she crows!?!? We have watched her so, we know its for real. I do not know anything about her background, other than she was handled as she is easy to catch and hold. What do all you cluckers out there think????

Last edited:
I don't know what she is.

Yes, hens can crow. When there is no Rooster in the equation, usually the Alpha (or dominant) hen will take over his duties - usually including crowing and mounting other hens. My Australorp hen doesn't crow, but she does mount other hens (yes, I've caught her doing it!).

I agree, a hen can crow. I had one years ago that did also. I am told that it is usually an older hen or one with a hormone problem. Would be interested to know if this hen is old or young and if she lays eggs.

Quote:
It's not necessarily an older hen all the time - dominance plays more of a role in it than age (because when birds get old, they'll generally loose the alpha spot). My hen that mounts the others started this behavior at about 2 years old, and still lays eggs now (she's going on 5 years this spring).

My friend who "breeds" Cuckoo Marans had a hen that not only crowed and mounted other hens, but she had spurs too - a good inch long! I personally caught that hen and examined her - she most certainly was a hen. Later that day, we caught her in the nest laying an egg.

Quote:
I have no idea how old she is, now just from all the chickens I have handled, her legs and claws look well used, so she has to be older than 1-2 yers. I think she has layed an egg or two, wil find out from the place I got her from.

Back
Top Bottom