Can a hen crow and what breed is she??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by froggiesheins, Jan 11, 2011.

1. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    [​IMG]I [​IMG]
    I acquired an adult black hen, and she looks like a hen but she crows!?!? We have watched her so, we know its for real. I do not know anything about her background, other than she was handled as she is easy to catch and hold. What do all you cluckers out there think????

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I don't know what she is.

Yes, hens can crow. When there is no Rooster in the equation, usually the Alpha (or dominant) hen will take over his duties - usually including crowing and mounting other hens. My Australorp hen doesn't crow, but she does mount other hens (yes, I've caught her doing it!).

3. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Boy, you learn something new everyday!! Geez, I swapped her for my roo because we can't have a roo boombox where I live..so the "yolks" on me now>>>> [​IMG]
    Quote:

4. reiner

reiner New Egg

Jan 11, 2011
    I agree, a hen can crow. I had one years ago that did also. I am told that it is usually an older hen or one with a hormone problem. Would be interested to know if this hen is old or young and if she lays eggs.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:It's not necessarily an older hen all the time - dominance plays more of a role in it than age (because when birds get old, they'll generally loose the alpha spot). My hen that mounts the others started this behavior at about 2 years old, and still lays eggs now (she's going on 5 years this spring).

My friend who "breeds" Cuckoo Marans had a hen that not only crowed and mounted other hens, but she had spurs too - a good inch long! I personally caught that hen and examined her - she most certainly was a hen. Later that day, we caught her in the nest laying an egg.

6. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:I have no idea how old she is, now just from all the chickens I have handled, her legs and claws look well used, so she has to be older than 1-2 yers. I think she has layed an egg or two, wil find out from the place I got her from.

7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    BUMP! ANYONE HAZARD A GUESS AT WHAT BREED SHE IS??
    Quote:

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Could be a hatchery Australorp? [​IMG]

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I would guess an Australorp or Australorp cross. [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009