can a hen crow?

invernessleander34452

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
I heard a strange crowing this morning unlike any of my roosters - 4 bantys and one a bit bigger. This sounded like a much larger bird, with a very deep voice crowing. I went out to the back yard and waited and it was one of my 2 dominecker hens, or at least I was told was a hen. He (she) is much larger than the other one and is the biggest chicken I have. He (she) has shown no male behavior and gets along with the other roosters well. So my question is now.........is this a hen or a rooster? She is about 5 months old so I think too young to lay eggs yet. The other dominecker has not started to lay either. Is there a facial feature that would give her sex away?

You may want to post this in chicken behaivor/egg laying section. Also you could consider taking a photo and posting it in what breed/gender is this section. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you though. I am still trying to figure out my own. Good Luck!

OMG! Have you tried to well you know check her?
yippiechickie.gif

New birds came into my bird room and a dominate hen assumed the position and it really sounded like a crow. I called my friend who has had chickens all his life and asked if it was possible he said Ohhh yes its also bad luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a bantam cochin hen that does a sort of crow...really funny! She is one of 3 hens in that pen and the most aggressive. But she lays her eggs and was broody this summer.

My EE that lays green eggs sometimes does that weird crowing sound. I have no roosters. I haven't heard her do it in a long time now, probably ever since roosters moved in across the street and crow a lot.
smile.png

I have a hen who is crowing. I brought her to IN from PA with me. Since she started to crow, she has stopped laying and her comb is getting bigger like a roo and she is starting to act like a roo. She will even try to mate with the other hens. Go figure...............

Back
Top Bottom