can a hen crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by invernessleander34452, Oct 18, 2008.

1. invernessleander34452

invernessleander34452 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    I heard a strange crowing this morning unlike any of my roosters - 4 bantys and one a bit bigger. This sounded like a much larger bird, with a very deep voice crowing. I went out to the back yard and waited and it was one of my 2 dominecker hens, or at least I was told was a hen. He (she) is much larger than the other one and is the biggest chicken I have. He (she) has shown no male behavior and gets along with the other roosters well. So my question is now.........is this a hen or a rooster? She is about 5 months old so I think too young to lay eggs yet. The other dominecker has not started to lay either. Is there a facial feature that would give her sex away?

2. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    You may want to post this in chicken behaivor/egg laying section. Also you could consider taking a photo and posting it in what breed/gender is this section. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you though. I am still trying to figure out my own. Good Luck!

3. mksenoj

mksenoj Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    UpState, New York
    Great Question. We are also having this same issue. We hear different sounds everyday. No other type behaviors

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I lost my rooster a couple years ago. The dominent hen did this thing like a crow, but not really. Then I got another roo and everything went back to normal.

5. kpara

kpara Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    South Carolina
    OMG! Have you tried to well you know check her?[​IMG]

6. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    New birds came into my bird room and a dominate hen assumed the position and it really sounded like a crow. I called my friend who has had chickens all his life and asked if it was possible he said Ohhh yes its also bad luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    We have a bantam cochin hen that does a sort of crow...really funny! She is one of 3 hens in that pen and the most aggressive. But she lays her eggs and was broody this summer.

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My EE that lays green eggs sometimes does that weird crowing sound. I have no roosters. I haven't heard her do it in a long time now, probably ever since roosters moved in across the street and crow a lot.
    [​IMG]

9. kpara

kpara Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have a hudge problem with my RIR! I'll try to stand up to him but he jumps all over my leg and idk what to do!

10. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I have a hen who is crowing. I brought her to IN from PA with me. Since she started to crow, she has stopped laying and her comb is getting bigger like a roo and she is starting to act like a roo. She will even try to mate with the other hens. Go figure...............

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by