can a hen crow?

invernessleander34452

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
I heard a strange crowing this morning unlike any of my roosters - 4 bantys and one a bit bigger. This sounded like a much larger bird, with a very deep voice crowing. I went out to the back yard and waited and it was one of my 2 dominecker hens, or at least I was told was a hen. He (she) is much larger than the other one and is the biggest chicken I have. He (she) has shown no male behavior and gets along with the other roosters well. So my question is now.........is this a hen or a rooster? She is about 5 months old so I think too young to lay eggs yet. The other dominecker has not started to lay either. Is there a facial feature that would give her sex away?

SSO202

Songster
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Hartwood, VA 22406
You may want to post this in chicken behaivor/egg laying section. Also you could consider taking a photo and posting it in what breed/gender is this section. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you though. I am still trying to figure out my own. Good Luck!

ThreeBoysChicks

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Thurmont, MD
I lost my rooster a couple years ago. The dominent hen did this thing like a crow, but not really. Then I got another roo and everything went back to normal.

Ms. Lewis Rich

Songster
12 Years
Dec 18, 2007
New birds came into my bird room and a dominate hen assumed the position and it really sounded like a crow. I called my friend who has had chickens all his life and asked if it was possible he said Ohhh yes its also bad luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wyliefarms

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Fowlerville,MI
We have a bantam cochin hen that does a sort of crow...really funny! She is one of 3 hens in that pen and the most aggressive. But she lays her eggs and was broody this summer.

ibpboo

Where Chickens Ride Horses
12 Years
Jul 9, 2007
always changing
My EE that lays green eggs sometimes does that weird crowing sound. I have no roosters. I haven't heard her do it in a long time now, probably ever since roosters moved in across the street and crow a lot.

kpara

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 18, 2008
South Carolina
I have a hudge problem with my RIR! I'll try to stand up to him but he jumps all over my leg and idk what to do!

92caddy

Egg Lover
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Portland, IN
I have a hen who is crowing. I brought her to IN from PA with me. Since she started to crow, she has stopped laying and her comb is getting bigger like a roo and she is starting to act like a roo. She will even try to mate with the other hens. Go figure...............

Top Bottom