Can a lone chick survive? Update ! (on OP )

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by giasmom, Jun 11, 2009.

1. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Only one of my 9 eggs made it out alive, well 2 did but had to cull 1 earlier. So, since my other chicks are 2 & 3 weeks older than the lone ranger I'm left with, can it make it with no siblings? Right now it is sleeping in my lap on a piece of a pillow case all bundled up. Its been peeping really loud like it was lonesome. When I picked it up it quit. It seems healthy enough. Will it be able to learn the things it needs to know till it gets old enough to move in with the others? If this keeps up it will be spoiled rotten, as long as it can survive.

Picked up a silkie cochin? today at the swap that is older than my chick but about the same size.Put them together & they both are so happy now ! Very content !

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  2. Jolyn

Jolyn Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I would feel bad having only one. We got one from my son's class and then went to the feed store and got another so it wouldn't be lonely.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    you can help it for now with a mirror and hanging a feather duster it can snuggle in the feathers of at will. Also a little stuffed animal.

4. FaithAnn

FaithAnn Songster

Jun 7, 2009
    Mobile, Alabama
    We only had one hatch, so he is by himself. He is about 4-5 weeks old now and is doing fine, although we are trying to hatch him/her a friend now.

5. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Well its not the only one I have. Its just the only one from this hatch & only one this young. I also have guineas due in 6 days, will it be okay by its self till they hatch, then I can put it in with them? I'm not working right now so I'm only gone a couple hours a day. I will be able to give it alot of attention if it can physically survive on its own.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  6. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Update on original post.

7. Maryallison

Maryallison Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    I had a single egg hatch 1 time and my poor chick peeped and peeped and it was soooo loud that we couldn't sleep! [​IMG] So I gave it a small stuffed animal and the little cutie snuggled up with it and it quieted down! It was amazing! [​IMG]

8. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Songster

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Awwwwwwwwwwww that is so sweet isn't it! Just wanted somone to cuddle with!! [​IMG]

9. countrybum

countrybum Songster

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Well that is great that you found a baby its size.

It sounds like it is just what the doctor ordered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: