Can a Navy man or woman help me with this please?

Kat, my husband, Brent, is also a retired chief. He was a Surface Warfare sailor, though. He refers to your dad's Submariner badge as "two dolphins puking in a sh.tcan".
hu.gif

He pointed out that summer whites are shortsleeved, so you wouldn't use the hashmarks, which go above the cuff on a long sleeve. In case you do go with long sleeves, it's four years per stripe. He'll need his anchors on his collar, too. Any medals or awards should be listed on his DD-214 (separation papers).

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me, or message me on FB. Brent will be glad to help you out.

hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Dear Gritsar,

God bless your father! The submarine force was the service component that had the highest rate of loss of personnel in WWII. About a third of all WWII submarines never came back and are "still out there on patrol".

The advice you got on using a uniform shop at a Navy base was a good one. Since your dad is retired, take him there with his military ID and they will let him purchase the uniform and appropriate patches. Contact a Navy recruiter or other representative and find out how to get a copy of his DD214, if you haven't already done that. You can also Google "DD214". He rates one and it's the authoritative statement of his service. That also will list all the awards he is entitled to wear.

His awards will include the dolphins you mention, Good Service Medals, and WWII medals and ribbons. Hash marks are awarded for every four years of service. After so many years they go from red to gold if he didn't get into any trouble. To that extent they are related to Good Service Medals (one for every four years of service without a Captain's Mast or Court Martial). The Uniform Shop can help you figure that out from the DD214.

If he will go for it, I recommend you buy a replacement set of dolphins to put on that burial uniform and keep the originals as a family heirloom. I recommend getting them engraved with his name and the date he was given that award, "Qualified in Submarines" -- a high honor indeed! The DD214 will provide the date.

My wife asked me to write this reply. I'm a retired (Cold War) submariner myself and again I say, "God bless your dad!" And thank him for me for the service he provided to our country and its citizens.

Jim

Quote:
lau.gif

Tell Brent I'm sure my dad would have a few things to say about topside sailors too.
gig.gif

You are correct about the summer whites and I wasn't thinking. Been a long day.

P.S. We have all my dad's dolphins (and I don't think that's what they look like they are doing at all Brent
tongue2.gif
). A pair of the dolphins and his collar anchors will be going back to him in the end.

Last edited:
The Second World War has become increasingly popular as historical re-enactment these last couple of decades. There are folks out there manufacturing uniforms, patches, and whatnot that replicate the uniforms and gear as they were actually worn in that time period. A little Googling would probably turn up some leads.

Quote:
lau.gif

Tell Brent I'm sure my dad would have a few things to say about topside sailors too.
gig.gif

P.S. We have all my dad's dolphins (and I don't think that's what they look like they are doing at all Brent
tongue2.gif
). A pair of the dolphins and his collar anchors will be going back to him in the end.

Brent was mortified that I told you that.
hide.gif

Quote:
lau.gif

gig.gif

tongue2.gif

Brent was mortified that I told you that.
hide.gif

Tell him I've heard worse, much worse!
gig.gif

Seriously, please tell him that with the death of my sister this morning, his comment gave me a wonderful belly laugh that I needed.
hugs.gif

I'm shooting off a stupid question to Brent via your PMs. That should make him feel better
wink.png

Okay, here's what we have in my "shopping cart" so far:

Shoulder boards
Nameplate
Belt
Buckle
Shirt
Trousers
Hat

The dolphins we already have and the ribbons and medals we can worry about later, after we get Dad's DD214.

Thanks y'all. You've helped alot!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I am sorry for your loss
sad.png

(can't help with anything else in this thread either)

Back
Top Bottom