Can a pullet have long tail feathers like this?

Did anyone ask how old the bird is?

Yes girls CAN develop weird feathers like that.. but not pointy in the hackles and saddles.

Here is a pullet I raised last year that had curled tail feathers that you'd expect to see on a rooster.

I think males have 3 rows in their comb..I'm not 100% sure
'

The three rows vs. one row thing is a good indicator, but not foolproof.
f
For the OP's bird, how old is it? I don't think we can know until we know the age. I, like aoxa, have some white pullets with just a few long tail feathers like that. They are Ameraucana/Leghorn crosses.

I'm not sure exactly how old it is. We got it as a young pullet, the seller didn't know exact age.

I don't know how to tell if the hackles and saddle feathers are pointy... They look similar to my other pullets walking around, but when I look at them up close the tips of the feathers do kind of come to a slight point instead of rounded. Is that what you mean?

I'm not sure exactly how old it is. We got it as a young pullet, the seller didn't know exact age.

I don't know how to tell if the hackles and saddle feathers are pointy... They look similar to my other pullets walking around, but when I look at them up close the tips of the feathers do kind of come to a slight point instead of rounded. Is that what you mean?
That's exactly what we mean. I think you have your answer then--they're cockerels.

I too was watching a couple of my chicks very closely for definitive signs of them being roos or pullets. Specifically my one porcelain EE. He wasn't showing anything I'd call true hackles or saddle feathers even at sixteen weeks old and never crowed. Suddenly one day, I swear just overnight, he sprouted these long gossamer golden tinted saddle feathers and there was no doubt. When you do see true saddle feathers, you will know them. They're unmistakable for anything else. He still doesn't crow though, even at 5 months old, except for very first thing in the morning and then only if I leave them out before I put the fermented feed down. He'll crow and look towards the back door and wait a few minutes, then crow again and repeat till I come out and fill the food bowl. After that, there's not a sound out of him.

Back
Top Bottom