Can a raccoon get a goose?

HENS-and-MARES

Crowing
Apr 6, 2020
Where it snows.
Hi guys! I recently saw a very scary thread about raccoons, and am now wondering if a raccoon can get a goose. My geese aren’t the biggest in the world but they aren’t that small. They are easily 3x bigger than my production red chickens. I have 3 Sebastopol geese, with 1 Toulouse free ranging, and 2 Toulouse, with 2 ducks, in an electric fence. Should I worry about raccoons?

Although I have no experience with geese, I do have experience in dealing with coons. And they are pretty ballsy when it comes to going after food, be it cat food sitting on the back porch right outside the sliding glass door or fowl that’s outside away from the house.

So I would say, yes, if they see your geese as food, then I’m sure they’ll attempt to get at one. If anything to maim it at first so they can then overtake it to kill and eat it.

I would not put anything past those critters

Last edited:
Easily. A coon can take down a full grown bluetick hound (60 ish lbs) in a fight. For their size their strength is comparable to a bear. I'm often surprised and mine are not driven by hunger because they get fed daily.

Easily. A coon can take down a full grown bluetick hound (60 ish lbs) in a fight. For their size their strength is comparable to a bear. I'm often surprised and mine are not driven by hunger because they get fed daily.

I've hunted coons for yrs, seen plenty of coon, dog scuffles.. a coon can definitely put a hurting on a dog, but I've never seen a coon win a fight. The only time it was close, was when the coon got our dog in water over its head. Had to grab a handful of fur and toss them onto the bank 3 times before the dog figured out he better stay out of the water.

I've seen more than one big boar coon get on a bluetick (later in my teens we swapped to walkers) heads and send the dog whimpering. Back when I was a kid we had to put down 2 dogs one night because they were bleeding so bad and we were so far out there was no way they could make it.
As far as drowning I've see that happen a few times. One night had 'em roll off a river bank with about a 15 foot drop, wasn't any way we could get to them. Was 8 y/o and lost a 5k dog that night. Was so ticked I shot the coon in the water and left it there.

Geese are bid chickens under neath. They sound and act tough but usually do not fight anything. My geese free range during day and are put up at night. I'm more worried about the fox and coyotes here in

Coons are primarily nocturnal but it's not unheard of to see them during the day. They will feed when it's easiest for them.

And just because you see one during the day does not mean it's rabid.

Back
Top Bottom