Can a single duck live a happy life?

jennasips

Chirping
Nov 4, 2021
So, I have been in a bit of a situation I have one drake that has lost two of his mates so far. My little guy has been through a great deal, surviving a skunk attack and losing his buddies. It’s been a few months now and he seems to be adjusted to living on his own but I worry that he may be lonely when I’m not around. I adore my little guy and want only the best for him.

My shelter and pen are really only big enough for two ducks and most places require buying two minimum. Without knowing the genders it would be risky buying two ducklings and then having one being female then having to give one away. I’m also not sure if the two ducks would be bonded to each other and leave my little guy out defeating the whole purpose of finding him mates. Ideally, I want another male companion for him. I have considered adopting an already sexed duck but worry because of my past experiences. His last buddy I adopted from a farm and he was already full grown and ended up randomly dying a month after having him due to his health I think. It’s just scary not being able to raise the duck and know its history medically.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

So, I have been in a bit of a situation I have one drake that has lost two of his mates so far. My little guy has been through a great deal, surviving a skunk attack and losing his buddies. It’s been a few months now and he seems to be adjusted to living on his own but I worry that he may be lonely when I’m not around. I adore my little guy and want only the best for him.

My shelter and pen are really only big enough for two ducks and most places require buying two minimum. Without knowing the genders it would be risky buying two ducklings and then having one being female then having to give one away. I’m also not sure if the two ducks would be bonded to each other and leave my little guy out defeating the whole purpose of finding him mates. Ideally, I want another male companion for him. I have considered adopting an already sexed duck but worry because of my past experiences. His last buddy I adopted from a farm and he was already full grown and ended up randomly dying a month after having him due to his health I think. It’s just scary not being able to raise the duck and know its history medically.

It depends what you consider "happy"- in my opinion they'll always be happiest in a flock... I would buy an adult/young drake of a fairly laid back breed a similar size to him, quarantine the new drake to ensure healthy, and do the see but no touch method of introducing.
I think this would be best for him!
For now perhaps put a mirror against his pen, secure it so that it won't break, this would help if he is lonely.
I hope it works out!

Edited as I now see you are based in England

My ducks are rescues. You might consider contacting your local wildlife rescue organization and the local rehabbers. We still have several of last year's late arrivals -- now juveniles -- needing rehoming. Our local chapter of the ASPCA and the Humane Society may help in the USA as some ASPCAs arrange adoptions of ducks. But both organizations will know the movers and shakers in rehabbing in your area. In the UK, I don't know RSPCA? PDSA? I am sure that there must be wildlife rescue organizations

[Where I am, muscovy and mallard cannot be released to the wild: our wild life rescue organizations have to find new homes for any ducks that are rescued. That may not be so in the UK]

are you in the united states? if you are, call some duck rescues and tell them you want to adopt the next male duck they get. i can promise you there will be so many ducks for rehoming in the next month, this is about the time irresponsible people buy ducks for their kids and then dump them sometime next month

Edited as I now see you are based in England

My ducks are rescues. You might consider contacting your local wildlife rescue organization and the local rehabbers. We still have several of last year's late arrivals -- now juveniles -- needing rehoming. Our local chapter of the ASPCA and the Humane Society may help in the USA as some ASPCAs arrange adoptions of ducks. But both organizations will know the movers and shakers in rehabbing in your area. In the UK, I don't know RSPCA? PDSA? I am sure that there must be wildlife rescue organizations

[Where I am, muscovy and mallard cannot be released to the wild: our wild life rescue organizations have to find new homes for any ducks that are rescued. That may not be so in the UK]
Do you mean wild rescues or domestic rescues?

oh wow, I genuinely did not know this was a thing- perhaps its different here in the UK- I'm going to research it
It is very likely different in the UK than in Florida. We have wild migratory mallards and also "escaped" domestic mallard -- ie feral -- that cross breed with wild. The escaped domestic are largely unwanted males that are dumped. This is causing untold harm as the domestic mallard does not have the urge to migrate and the cross can lose that instinct too. But non migration of feral mallards is endangering our local non migrating mottled duck because nonmigrating mallard males cross breed with mottled ducks that are now endangered.

The situation with muscovy is different. Feral muscovy do well in Florida and have been deemed a nuisance. They are covered by the US migratory birds act, but that act "is not enforced" in Florida. This permits hunters to kill them and thugs with baseball bats are hired by private retention pond owners to cull the muscovy that they determine are a nuisance. The state government has outlawed releasing muscovy -- even if born in the wild to the wild. They can only be legally released to private ownership on private land.

The problem is (apart from the callous culling of muscovy on private ponds) is that the native range of wild muscovy is extending into the USA. Hence muscovy now being covered by the Migratory Birds Act. Truly wild muscovy are now found naturally in Texas. It won't be many years before they reach Florida. Then the Migratory Birds Act has to be enforced as it is a result of an international treaty to protect migratory birds. True wild muscovy are genetically indistinguishable from domestic muscovy, as they have only been domesticated for a short period in genetic change terms.

I dont think any of this applies to the UK. Perhaps you have other laws related to releasing ducks into the wild

Back
Top Bottom