Can a tiny Bantam Rooster be safe with cats?

Sasa

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Northern Colorado
I have been offered a very tiny bantam rooster, not the usual bantam but the very tiny kind, the size of a small Call duck. My fear is that he might become a cat "toy", I have several cats. He does live around cats now and they do not care about him but they could just be very discerning cats, a couple of mine are very playful and one of those is a big boy. He can really fly and I wonder if the cats would jump at the chance to chase him. Are these tiny roosters bold and brave like a "normal" rooster? are they ballsy enough to change a cat's mind? My cats do not bother my Call ducks(who also fly) and this rooster is the same size as they are. In fact, the ducks often intimidate my cats. Chickens have those jerky little movements though as opposed to a calm, duck walk, and I wonder if he would look like the best toy ever.

My second question is, would he be happy if the only hens he has are "normal" sized hens? I have regular hens, would they pick on him? I can get him a hen his own size if he needs one. I am not planning to breed them, just have pets.

Thanks! I am going to start him and a hen or two in their own pen and take it from there. They are used to a very small space so I think that an acre would overwhelm them at first. If it turns out to be the best home for them then that's where they'll live. They are so small and they can fly like my Calls do so they might be very attractive to a couple of my cats, or not. I'm glad to hear that you have had some success with cats and these teenie chickens.

Thanks! I am going to start him and a hen or two in their own pen and take it from there. They are used to a very small space so I think that an acre would overwhelm them at first. If it turns out to be the best home for them then that's where they'll live. They are so small and they can fly like my Calls do so they might be very attractive to a couple of my cats, or not. I'm glad to hear that you have had some success with cats and these teenie chickens.

Oh- I forgot to mention that it is good to consider hawks and eagles. They really go after bantams. It is good to put netting over your pen (think snow load and heavy knotted netting if snowy) or give them lots of places to hide from hawks. A determined hawk can always get a chicken unless they are in a Fort Knox pen (which I don't have and don't want). I prefer a large pen, so large that they think they are free ranging. I just use 2 x 4 welded wire fencing, but close them up tight in sheds at night.

I use free pallets elevated on concrete blocks throughout the pens. This helps a lot and provides shade and cover from rain also.

Your large fowl might turn their noses up at mating with him (I have had that happen here in my flocks before), or might allow him to mate. I had a Black Australorp that liked a itty bitty roo and let him mate with her. But some of the other girls just chased him off and had a high-and-mighty attitude.

Enjoy your little guys! If they are seramas I have heard they need winter heat lamps/bulbs/heaters.
I definitely would give them high places to fly out of a cat's reach as well. Such as a shed roof (someplace that cats can't jump easily).

Thanks for all this info, the pallets are a great idea. He will be coming with one hen so he'll have someone his own size in case my 3 chickens reject him, they were raised by a rooster so they may be glad to have another one. I have 2 acres netted because of the owls mainly but the hawks and eagles too. They would take my chickens, ducks, cats and my 3 Papillons. I did get the heavy, knotted kind from 3-T and the framework is designed by a structural engineer because the support that worked well in the Mts. failed miserably down here on the flat land, go figure. I want all of my little guys to be able to go in and out safely 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom