can anyone confirm that this is a roo??

Nope, I have never noticed it. I have not ever heard a crow but my neighbor said he did...not a loud one but he said it was a crow. Will they try to mate at this age?? Could it be that it wasn't a crow? Maybe she was egg bound and had a squawk?

Last edited:
MOST cockerels will begin attempting to mate, usually by grabbing feathers at the back of the neck, around 3-4 months or so... Roosters have narrow, pointy, dangling feathers around the hackle/neck area and at the back/base of the tail, whereas females' feathers are rounded in these areas. I think that's what I'm seeing in that photo that's more clear - check it out on your bird to see if that's the case.

Yes, the pullets are younger...LONG STORY but we've been shuffling roos, dead chicken from dog wound etc. 1 is 3ish months BSL and the other is 5 ish months EEger....None are laying yet...I have not seen the mating behavior but the wyandotte does rule the roost... man, I almost lost him.her too to a respiratory infection...we treated and now better and now must go somewhere else. :(

Last edited:
That's why many people keep closed flocks - every time a new bird is brought in, potential new disease or illnesses are brought in. Freshly hatched chicks are generally safe, but started birds run a higher risk factor to your current flock. New birds should always be quarantined for a few weeks to make sure there are no illnesses. I think a lot of people don't do that though, and sometimes you luck out and there are no diseases brought in, and sometimes you're not so lucky...
sad.png

Also, I think you'll get a lot more responses on what sex your bird is if you repost - a new post just to verify (or not) whether that bird is a roo. Sometimes people forget about older posts, even though it's just days old.

Man, gotta find a home for him....the person who sold it to me will take him back and replace with what he calls a red hen not really knowing what the breed is...just thought I would like something a little more interesting than another red hen.... EE is red, the BSL is pretty red...

Back
Top Bottom