Can anyone help? advice needed

Chloe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Ireland
My Call drake has hurt his leg, he holds it up for most of the time except when he is trying to walk he doesnt even use it for swimming, i have examined it and there is nothing visibly wrong but there is heat coming from the joint in his leg, is there anything I can do or is this a job for the vet?

When I first got my calls, my white drake injured his leg, it did not physically look or feel damaged, but he would limp, hold it up and struggle to get around, I assumed he may of broke it, but after a week or so he was fine and walking back on it.

Give it a couple of days, if he shows more signs of distress or if its visible that its infected/broken, take him to the vets.

My white female call was just learning to use her flappers and crash landed on some rocks.. Instantly I knew she was hurt..
it was her paddle.... I ran her back to her pond and she sat motionless for about 30 min... I examined her best I could and it didnt
seem broken... after another hour or so she was eating her treats but would NOT use her paddle to swim.. she of course had to follow
the others around best she could , hopping on one paddle, but I kept an eye on her and everyday was improvement . About a week and a half later she was back to normal (apparently a sprain)... tried to keep her in the pond alot tho to keep her off of it .... good luck
keep us posted..

One of my girls was hurt to. She would sit all day so she would only move as little as possible. In the evening she would be the worst, and each morning she would be better after resting all night. Nothing seemed to be broken, so I decided to watch her. She eventually got better, but it took about 4 or 5 days. I did put all ducks on electrolyte/vitamin water at that time. It wont hurt, and I think it does reduce the stress a bird has when in pain. My ducks like to jump out of the kiddie pool or off the little decks I have around the pools. I think this is where she may have sprained the leg. She is fine now.

thanks for the advice everyone, he seems much better today, running around like a nutcase lol I guess all that time in the water has helped him!

Back
Top Bottom