Can anyone help

BrocktonChicks

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2017
One of my best laying hens suddenly stopped laying. She will sit in the nesting box all day if we let her. It's been 4 days and she is pooping so I don't think she's egg bound. We have been bathing her in warm water with elsom salt and feeding her extra cacium. She doesnt seem to have a lot of energy. Although when we lock her out of the coop she acts normal. Any thoughts??? Thanks

One of my best laying hens suddenly stopped laying. She will sit in the nesting box all day if we let her. It's been 4 days and she is pooping so I don't think she's egg bound. We have been bathing her in warm water with elsom salt and feeding her extra cacium. She doesnt seem to have a lot of energy. Although when we lock her out of the coop she acts normal. Any thoughts??? Thanks
Sounds like she’s broody! Babies!!! :wee:jumpy

I was thinking broody too! She won't lay when she's trying to set a clutch eggs... She'll fluff up, "hiss/growl" a little when you try to move her?

Heck, I have a broody who doesn't care if she's on eggs or not, that gal is determined. She's probably only given me two eggs all darn summer... You can break her broodiness or have her raise some babies (it's not too late in the year to have her raise a few for ya! ;):jumpy)

I was thinking broody too! She won't lay when she's trying to set a clutch eggs... She'll fluff up, "hiss/growl" a little when you try to move her?

Heck, I have a broody who doesn't care if she's on eggs or not, that gal is determined. She's probably only given me two eggs all darn summer... You can break her broodiness or have her raise some babies (it's not too late in the year to have her raise a few for ya! ;):jumpy)
Thank you. Unfortunately I we are in the city and no roosters allowed. No babies here.

Thank you. Unfortunately I we are in the city and no roosters allowed. No babies here.

Ah, okay. Yes, unfortunately, many have to deal with the no rooster rule.
...but...
You don't neeeeed a rooster to get babies -- That rule doesn't stop you from buying fertilized eggs...or even one-day-old chicks. Slip them under her at night...she'll adopt them! She'll feed them, keep them warm, protect them...its a very, very neat chicken experience. :jumpy :jumpy :jumpy (of course, you'll still have to find homes for the cockerels...)

Lol! Pardon me - :oops: - I'm obviously a chicken-enabler. I love when my hens go broody! :jumpy I love baby chicks and I'm quite addicted. I'm always adding to my flock. But, I know city limits the number of chickens in your flock, too, so I'll digress.

There ARE other ways you can cure her broodiness: keeping her off the nests, putting her in a wire-bottom crate, having her lay on cold packs, etc...

Back
Top Bottom