can anyone identify this paw print?

it's funny, i just leave my trash in the wheelbarrow at the end of the driveway, it's never ripped open, i'm the only one within a mile with cats, and my cats are all fixed so they don't draw cats from beyond, which they would if they were in heat... i've got coyote, fox, and birds of prey. the coyotes are so brazen as to poop on my compost pile, and once even in my front flower (really a weed) bed. this very morning, my one and only neighbor lost a duck to a fox...
I know that raccoon like water, I grew up in the flat land, where the coons were twice the size of the biggest tom cat... I'll let you know
yippiechickie.gif
congratulations on the awesome eggs today!

Will be interesting to see what you catch. Wasn't much doubt when I saw those tracks in the bottom of the water pan. But you know that part of the country better than me. Thanks for the congrats regarding the big egg day. We had a big party out in the run this afternoon. I took the first bite out of the cake and watermelon. I love them but still can't bring myself to eat after them. They have no manners either

well, there was nothing in the trap, but when I woke up this morning, I heard the strangest sound, it took me a minute to realize it was raining! we have had virtually no rain in 5 weeks, taking a walk on my property sounded more like walking on bags of potato chips... so... better luck today
fl.gif
I will get marshmallows

Thanks for the congrats regarding the big egg day. We had a big party out in the run this afternoon. I took the first bite out of the cake and watermelon. I love them but still can't bring myself to eat after them. They have no manners either

yuckyuck.gif
chicken etiquette states that you must share, and if the humans won't join in, it is standard protocol to shake your head vigorously while eating watermelon and to spray the silly humans with bits and juice... unfortunately, this often is unsuccessful, and it then becomes necessary for you to peck it off them... those silly humans just don't know better, forgive them and wait til tomorrow when you can fool them into thinking that you've laid an egg... what a hoot! welcome to the world of raising backyard humans, let us know what new antics they come up with next!!!

Actually my first thought was skunk when I saw the track but it sounds too big to be a skunk. Coons like dog food too. I'd say it's not a porcupine, you'd see scratch marks from the toenails. Coons, opossums, and skunks are the ones who leave those finger like tracks. Fox tracks look like a dog track except they have a unmistakable toenail impression as well. Good luck trapping it.

I've never seen a single one in the 12 years i've lived here... neither have my neighbors who've lived here 20 something years... although, we're in a drought, so maybe they are ranging up looking for food and water? while there was still more water down the hill, most of the predators stayed down below, but we've not had but one rainstorm in 5 weeks... who knows... closest raccoon I've seen to my place is like 2 miles away...
thanks, have borrowed have-a-heart trap, we'll see what I get

I'm in NY also (Fingerlakes area) and we've been trapping raccoons left and right. Got grandpa last night.
We recently did some research on coon behavior. A male's range is 10 MILES!!! So, seeing a coon 2 miles away, you're still well within it's territory.
Marshmallows have been the best bait for us also. Be patient. We left our trap out for 2 weeks and didn't even bother to change the marshmallow. The raccoon obviously didn't care that it was an old, mushy marshmallow! Hope he enjoyed his last meal.

Back
Top Bottom