Can anyone recommed an all around excellent chicken book?

tweetzone86

Songster
Jul 23, 2018
Kootenai County, ID
Hello all!

This is my first flock and they've just started laying (1 egg for 4 days, then 2 eggs for a couple days, then 3 for a couple days, and today 5- all out of 12 RIR pullets).

I was remembering that great video I watched about the chicken reproductive system (thanks Aart- I think it was them that posted it in one of my threads), and I decided it would probably be a good idea to buy a book about chickens- sorta a "Guide to all things chicken" type of book.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I do plan on sticking with the RIR breed for now, small backyard flock (can't have more til we have acreage to put them on), and I won't be getting new chicks til their egg production tanks, prob around 3 years old or so). But I would like to be able to get a really good book to learn everything I can about chickens because I figure- if I'm going to raise layers, raise extra layers to sell the eggs, and eventually (when we have acreage) meat birds and eventually raise show birds for my girls (homeschool- basically 4-H but without the extra cost of 4-H proper), that it would be a good idea for me to learn everything I can :)

As much as I love books, I read constantly, I would not bother to buy any chicken books.
Well, I own two... Ussery and Damerow both good reads but do contain some 'not so great' and/or outdated info. I have not cracked them but a few times since the initial reading.
Try your library, we have state wide borrowing here and can get about any title.
Better to read a borrowed copy before buying, IMO.
I read a couple dozen and very few were worth reading, let alone owning.

This website has given me more information than any book.
I read a lot of the threads and learn a lot.
This^^^ but bring your grains of salt.
I learned more here too, by readingreadingreading for hoursandhoursandhours.
I took notes and saved links in a word doc(you can search it) and a spreadsheet with headers like coops, roosts, nests, dosages, predators, etcetcetc.
But I am old school, laptop with 'real' programs installed for these tasks.

Back
Top Bottom