Can anyone tell me if these are roosters or hens?

Roosters or Hens?

• New Hampshire Red is female

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • New Hampshire Red is male

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buff Orpington is female

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • buff orpington is male

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • rhode island is female

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • rhode island is male

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

adamplimpton

Hatching
Aug 16, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I bought 8 chicks back on April 1st from Tractor Supply. They were supposed to all be female, however, I may have some roosters among the group. Can anyone tell me if these are females or males? I've had trouble distinguishing! One is a Buff Orpington, another is a New Hampshire Red, and the other (dark brown) is the Rhode Island Red.

I bought 4 breeds, two of each kind. My ISA's are already laying, however, each one of these look progressively redder than the others.

Only one (the Rhode Island) is vocal - short of crowing. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    855.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    978 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0509.jpg
    IMG_0509.jpg
    971.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    669.6 KB · Views: 16
Gotcha! I couldn't believe how fast the ISA's matured, I've had eggs from them both for at least a month now. Right around 13/14 weeks old
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Those are neither hens nor roosters... ;)

That's because they don't technically earn those titles until reaching 1 year old even though they do still mature a bit more after that. Until then they are pullets or cockerels. It's mostly important when you are discussing behavioral or health type issues as it will impact the response greatly. My family and I still casually call then hens and roos but I wanted to share with you for informational purposes. :D

I agree with the other poster that I don't see any male specific feathering and that it *should* be showing pretty good on most birds by the stated age... Also for your personal reference and to get a good idea of what you would likely be seeing by now...
upload_2019-8-16_16-59-50.jpeg

Wow, eggs so young!!!! That really is unheard of and incredible. :pop

Hens actually can and do crow and even grow spurs. It is not usually seen in pullets though. Plenty of Ladies are VERY vocal.. squawking and cackling as they get closer to laying. You had better be ready with some egg plans and recipes cuz you are gonna be loaded soon with that bunch of lovely ladies! :love

ETA: the popcorn eating is to indicate that the longer I raise chickens the more things I see and not in any way that I don't believe you. Life is such a miracle and wonder! :cool:

That's because they don't technically earn those titles until reaching 1 year old even though they do still mature a bit more after that. Until then they are pullets or cockerels. It's mostly important when you are discussing behavioral or health type issues as it will impact the response greatly. My family and I still casually call then hens and roos but I wanted to share with you for informational purposes. :D

I agree with the other poster that I don't see any male specific feathering and that it *should* be showing pretty good on most birds by the stated age... Also for your personal reference and to get a good idea of what you would likely be seeing by now...
View attachment 1879818

Hens actually can and do crow and even grow spurs. It is not usually seen in pullets though. Plenty of Ladies are VERY vocal.. squawking and cackling as they get closer to laying. You had better be ready with some egg plans and recipes cuz you are gonna be loaded soon with that bunch of lovely ladies! :love

ETA: the popcorn eating is to indicate that the longer I raise chickens the more things I see and not in any way that I don't believe you. Life is such a miracle and wonder! :cool:

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I was hoping I had all hens! This is the first time I've had chickens and I'm so pumped.

View attachment 1879818

The other buff orpington I have has no red on her face and no waddles or combs yet. Do chickens of the same breed I bought at the same store on the same day age differently? The same goes with their counterparts. They don't show any signs of combs or waddles.

Back
Top Bottom